Author Topic: Good Scraper for Tillering  (Read 8775 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Good Scraper for Tillering
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 04:22:29 pm »
I use bandsaw blades, scissors, broken pocketknife. I have saved several sawsall blades but havent tried them yet.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Papa Matt

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 04:40:35 pm »
Hey Brothers,

Any of you's ever use flint or similar rock as a scraper? I have by accident one time. Try it, they work super-kill. Get you a piece of flint, break it and find an angled edge. You will be amazed!

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 06:43:43 pm »
Hey Brothers,

Any of you's ever use flint or similar rock as a scraper? I have by accident one time. Try it, they work super-kill. Get you a piece of flint, break it and find an angled edge. You will be amazed!

Actually I used some obsidian on myfirst bow.  I was having trouble scraping smooth and a knapping guy came over and said try this.
Westminster, MD

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 06:58:32 pm »
I've use obsidian to scrape the bark of arrow shafts. Seems to work better than steal.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 09:27:15 pm »
Jamie Leffler made a bow a while back with just a hatchet and a broken yager bottle.
My dad used to finish his cabinets with glass.
Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline shamus

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 10:29:12 am »
Regular cabinet scrapers work well, but if you want something more stout, a Mystik Scraper works very well.

I have a bowyer's edge. Good tool, but I can’t make the thing work without chattering on the grain. It's definitely a tool made by a woodworker because I can’t use it that well.   ;D

But I would highly advise a mystik scraper.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 12:25:23 pm »
Regular cabinet scrapers work well, but if you want something more stout, a Mystik Scraper works very well.

I have a bowyer's edge. Good tool, but I can’t make the thing work without chattering on the grain. It's definitely a tool made by a woodworker because I can’t use it that well.   ;D

But I would highly advise a mystik scraper.

I agree w/ shamus, I have a lot of different scrapers - and always seem to tend toward my mystik scraper - got it from 3rivers.  Its stout and so doesn't heat up - you can really put some pressure to pull some wood off, or angle and pull lightly to take less off.  I just wish I could find a better way to get it sharp (how do you sharpen yours shamus?  They're so thick I can't use my adj burnisher, and I find it harder to roll a curl).  It doesn't seem that forgiving to get an edge curl, but once you do it works beautifully.
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

brian melton

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 08:16:34 pm »

I am with jawge a meat clever, prefer the cheap thin ones, can put a nice
edge on one....

Brian

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 11:58:35 pm »
I have been using the same set of cheap scrapers that I bought from wood craft 2.5 years ago. They are still going strong, Just tillered 2 bows with them this evenning matter o fact. You get the hand of the angle that removes the most wood after awile.

The nice thing about the Mystic scraper is that it is very very comfortable and easy to hold. If you are doing allot of bows it great cause using and holding standrd cabinet scrapers beats your hands up after a few hours of constant use. The mystic you can hold draw knife fashion wich is noce for long sessions.

SJM

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 11:00:22 pm »
Shamus, I had trouble with the chattering of the bowyers edge at first.  I resharpened it and rolled a shallower burr. Also I have the blade just barely exposed from the shoe.  This stopped the chattering.
Traverse City, MI

dogface

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 12:40:39 pm »
I am still gathering tools my self, but I use a Stanly sure form and a big buck knife and that does OK for me. I get allot of scraping out of the buck knife but it is hard on the hands.