Author Topic: Good Scraper for Tillering  (Read 8774 times)

Offline bigcountry

Good Scraper for Tillering
« on: July 14, 2008, 07:49:54 pm »
I have been using a combo of nicholson 49 and cheap cabinet scrapers from woodcraft.  Is there any better out there for osage.  Looking into the bowyers edge, but thats one expensive tiller tool
Westminster, MD

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Good Scraper for Tillering
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:58:07 pm »
I made one out of a 7 1/4" circular saw blade - cut it out with a hacksaw and works fine. Also dug out some old hickory kitchen knives, they peel almost transparent shaving's all the way down the limb. Don't use any storebought scrapers :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:00:53 pm »
Use whatever works for you . I use a couple of big ole' bowie knives , held at a right angle for scraping . And I can shave with them too like a  drawknife or spokeshave.

Ralph

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:32:52 pm »
Here is something that works really well, and it is very cheap.  Go to a Dollar Tree or Dollar General and buy a pair of stainless steel scissors.  They are very sharp and make great scrapers.  Simply pop out the rivet holding the two halves together and you have two awesome scrapers for a buck or two.  Throw them away when they get dull or sharpen them.

Dan

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:46:35 pm »
i use a wallpaper scraper blade, fairly flimsy,keeps an edge well,has two edges the scrape long thin shreds. its only about .75" x 4"
ive used two of them so far on 3 hic and 2 ipe bows. kinda thin so they can get warm if you use just the blade,i use the whole scraper that way i dont get cramps in my hands ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 08:47:15 pm »
For many years I used an old meat cleaver as a scraper.  Now I use a Swedish push knife as a scraper. I'm not a fan of real scrapers. They are not aggressive enough for me and I need a bit more of a handle to hold. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:27:49 pm »
I use nothing but old sawz all blades...just sharpen the back side of them on a belt sander.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:45:10 pm »
A drawknife turned up perpendicular to the wood makes a great scraper, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:52:06 pm »
I am not a big fan of taking a quality knife and scraping it against wood at a 90 degree angle.   But funny someone mentioned it, I found a pair of durasharp crappy scirriors and they work pretty good.   Thanks for letting me know what everyone uses.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 12:05:48 am »
I've bought lots of "bow making" tools over the years and I always come back to a #49 and a good scraper for tiller work. The scraper I started with I bought at Lowe's in a set. At this past Classic, Greg gave me a couple of scrapers that they use and that is the only scraper I've used since. ;D
   When I started using primarily a scraper for tiller work, it slowed me down enough so my "bows" became real BOWS!  ;)       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 12:26:02 am »
i use machineryleveling shims they are so hard its not funny,and hardly ever need sharpening,they come in1/2" 3/4"and 1.1/2"and there  cheap you can get them at grainger or any machine shop

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 12:42:04 am »
I am not a big fan of taking a quality knife and scraping it against wood at a 90 degree angle.   But funny someone mentioned it

I've been using the same two knives for twenty years , not wore out yet ,One is the bowie I mentioned ,I made it from a L6 saw blade. The other is straight knife a deceased uncle made from a file . Knives are tools like any other, made to be used .
Just my opinion.

Glad you found something that you can use ,and you like.

Ralph

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 02:24:42 am »
my scraper is a brute that made from an industrial hacksaw blade. it's .090" thick, about 2.5" wide, and about 6" long. it's all hardened, which means that rolling an edge has to done with carbide, but this scraper will run a curlfor the entire length of the bow, if you can keep the pressure going! used in concert with my farriers rasp, i can hog off as much wood as i need, or i can remove very light slivers to do a final tiller!

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 05:11:16 am »
i used a drawshave held at an angle for the first probably 2 years, then i switched to my pocket knife (drawshave got dull and decided it wasnt good to keep dulling it up) i just made a scraper from a broken handsaw blade. about 3x6 and about 1/16 thick. keeps the burr pretty nice and its easy to hang on to. my wife just bought me a smooth scraper with handles on it from 3 rivers. havnt got a chance to use it yet.

i guess its good to have a couple of options available to you for different situations.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 06:04:44 am »
I have a set of thin cabinet scrapers (the kind in most wood working stores)  Take time to roll a nice edge with a burnisher or screwdriver.  I also sucked it up and bought the bowyers edge.  I have to say it is the best bow tool I bought.  I love it for the initial tillering stages, but when I get real close I use my regular scrapers.
Traverse City, MI