Author Topic: Good Medicine Ground Hog  (Read 22455 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Good Medicine Ground Hog
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »
thanks fellas, the carcass is still freezin i did some fleshin of the hide and they are really thin skinned, but i dont know about string silencers for this hide, though it prob. would work, im hooked on making a possibles bag for my ventures into the woods... but anyway thanks guys!  ;D ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 03:39:51 pm »
Groundhog hides were prized for their toughenss for mocs and drums.......even for being so thin!

Now.....eat 'im!

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 11:59:42 pm »
man,thats sweet you got your first kill....and i love the bow.i might have to try that red oak some day.john

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 11:25:04 pm »
its an easy bow to make, my first real hunting bow ive made and it still shoots well... and thanks blacktail, thanks guys..
Modern Day Tramp

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 02:30:10 am »
Congradulations!
Make my day and tell me that was one of the trade points I sent you.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

bushytail

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 02:00:43 am »
Good job! I got one last year and got the hide taned.It lays on top of my computer desk for now.Their kinda small for a back quiver.You might try and make a side quiver out of it.I made one out of a skunk hide,turned out pretty cool looking.They can be hard to hit sometimes.Keep at it,and have fun!

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 10:51:04 pm »
thanks M-P i got all the trade points on my arrows and hope to take some squirrels or deer this year! and bushytail...the hide probably would work for a side quiver, its big enoughh, but i was thinking about keeping my bow drill set in it....
Modern Day Tramp

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 12:54:03 am »
Well congradulations again.  Now at least two of us are happy!  A case for your bow drill sounds like a good idea to me.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Little John

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 12:08:57 am »
Congrats H.T. nice bow and an honerable harvest, good luck with the deer. You are right you need a lot of patience.     L.J.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 12:33:38 am »
thank you sir...it took some patience some people wopuld maybe get mad at the ground hog becuase they keep out of range...but all i did was get a bit frustrated and it helped with me with stalking and shooting...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline sailordad

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 12:52:25 am »
carefull you dont get on of the big ol boars upset with ya,they can and will turn and chase you down ifn you aint carefull.

we used to chase them down with hatchets,i missed on time and that big ol boar he hit he brakes and spun around and chased me,the guy that was
with me fell over he was laughing so dang hard.
said he aint never seen nothing like that before. two days later the same thing(differant chuck though) happened to him, and yup you guessed it
i fell over laughing at him

thats cool ya got him with your stick

tim

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 01:59:50 am »
yeah..i heard they get pretty defenseive...the remind me of small bears the way they tear into grass and the way the run and walk...i like the old ground hogs...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline sailordad

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 02:37:07 am »
thats a good analogy of them,  small bears
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline TRACY

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 11:20:09 am »
Just saw this post, awesome job on the woodchuck. Takes skill to harvest them. They are good on the grill in the form of burgers.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Postman

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 11:34:37 am »
Way to go HT!    Crock pot barbecue's the way to go. Got the idear from someone on here......
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA