Author Topic: 5 " of deflex for boo backed yew?  (Read 2313 times)

Offline deerhunter97370

5 " of deflex for boo backed yew?
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:01:04 am »
I started out with about one inch of deflex on the yew before I glued the boo on. Once the glue dried I started removing wood to get it to floor tiller. After I started to get it bending The yew which was probly not dried enough started deflexing as it dried. It hasnt taken any deflex in a couple weeks so I think its done drying I hope. Should I start over or is this fixable. Thanks Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline snedeker

Re: 5 " of deflex for boo backed yew?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:54:41 am »
If you used Titebond, it would be a not too horrible task to dry heat it, remove the boo, and reglue it with some reflex.  If you used epoxy or urac, it would be a toughter.

Dave

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:11:44 am »
Ill try that thanks Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:15:51 pm »
Like Dave said if you used TB glue you can heat it to about 150deg(F) and the glue will release. I removed a hickory backing once this way after calling the TB company tech services and that is what they told me to do. I used a screw driver and putty knife to begin removing the backing strip and worked from one end of the stave to the other.
   Be sure your belly wood is dry before glueing it all up. Boo is a very strong backing and will over power the belly wood and cause problems if allowed to.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC