Author Topic: 15 mile yew  (Read 11795 times)

Offline Michael C.

Re: 15 mile yew
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 02:11:18 pm »
Hey Pat,

I noticed you said you violated a few rings on the back when you were making this bow, has it had any effect on it in the long run?
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 03:00:14 pm »
Awesome bow there Pat.  Great work

Offline boo

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 03:46:37 pm »
What a beauty Pat, as always , You done good!!!!
Boo

Offline Postman

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 06:37:37 pm »
what a cool bow!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 11:05:30 pm »
very nicely done, beautiful bow

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:18 pm »
Thanks guys. That bow was built a year ago. It still shoots well.
  Michael, yew is one of the few woods(if not the only) that some grain violations are not a problem. As long as the back doesn't have abrupt violations or dips into a ring you should be OK. Generally with yew the grain is relatively thin if not extremely thin and difficult to chase without some violations. This particular bow has quite a bit of grain violations on it's back and it has knots and other character issues.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2009, 08:01:32 am »
I'm late seeing this beauty, very fine job Pat on a challenging piece of wood!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2009, 12:33:46 pm »
Wow is all I can say. Very cool bow.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Colt45

• =]
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2009, 12:38:35 pm »
My brother picked up some Juniper from a ranch we go hunting on in Oregon. He made a 33" bow that draws to 20" and it has pretty much a hundred ring violations! He just cut it out he didn't do any ring chasing or anything  ??? anyone know what kind of juniper this is? I am making one right now from the stuff. So Yew isn't the only!!
The bow's in there, you just have to find it, and that is Boetry.

Offline Colt45

• =]
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »
Oh I forgot to mention the grain is way way thin on that juniper also.
The bow's in there, you just have to find it, and that is Boetry.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2009, 01:48:39 pm »
Thanks guys. That bow was built a year ago. It still shoots well.
  Michael, yew is one of the few woods(if not the only) that some grain violations are not a problem. As long as the back doesn't have abrupt violations or dips into a ring you should be OK. Generally with yew the grain is relatively thin if not extremely thin and difficult to chase without some violations. This particular bow has quite a bit of grain violations on it's back and it has knots and other character issues.

Thanks that's encouraging I have a stave right now that is pretty knotty like this one and I am pretty sure its going to break but I have to try anyway ;D I kept trying to get to one ring and kept getting into another ring before I knew it and didn't know how much it mattered. The violations aren't too bad, but the only other pieces of wood I have worked are Osage and elm. I knew Osage was particular about staying on one ring and I haven't figured out how well elm takes violations yet but I seem to be having the same problem with rings on it. To many thin rings and I don't think I picked a wide enough ring to follow, so I will probably learn a good lesson on tension and compression :)
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2009, 08:10:12 pm »
A simple backing of silk, linen, rawhide or even brown grocery bag paper glued down with TBII or TBIII will go a long way to helping them hold together. On thin ringed osage I always add a rawhide backing.  This yew bow had a few miladies but I wanted to keep it naked to see how it would act. So far, so good! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2009, 10:11:04 am »
Youre the man Pat.  Beautiful character bow and plenty of medicine to go with it. Very nice work on a tough piece, came out good. wish you success with it this fall. Have a good Independence Day.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Little John

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2009, 10:18:10 am »
Oh heck I just realized this was a last years bow, was just trying to see why it was not in bow of the month compitetion. Awsome bow still, hope you are still enjoying it.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline xin

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2009, 11:51:22 pm »
Pat B, True craftsmanship on a challenging piece of wood.  Always enjoy your posts, whether its bow or arrows.  Thanks for sharing!!!