Author Topic: How do you fletch your arrows?  (Read 13451 times)

Arthur Herrmann

How do you fletch your arrows?
« on: July 04, 2008, 06:38:37 pm »
I have bought myself 100 5 1/2" shield highback fletchings from Three Rivers Archery. The fletchings are slightly curved along the length. I can't put them on the shafts too quickly, and need to revise my technique.

I would like to know if all fletchings are slightly curved, where you buy them, and how you put them on.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: How do you fletch your arrows?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 09:38:34 pm »
I think Three Rivers has videos on Youtube that show how to use their fletching jigs.  There are also lots of threads (in various forums) on this topic.

As for me, I'm very primitive.  I buy whole wings, remove the feathers, grind them by hand (with help from a dremmel tool), lash them on with thread or sinew, and trim with scissors or razor blade.  No jigs, no glue along the quill, no clamps, no feather chopper, and no fancy nothin'.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:40:51 pm »
I don't understand the question but my site may help you.
Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/simplearrow.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 01:54:44 am »

As for me, I'm very primitive.  I buy whole wings, remove the feathers, grind them by hand (with help from a dremmel tool),

i think its cool ya do it by hand,but i wouldnt say thats primitive when you use a dremmel.

i dont think you would find a dremmel mark on otzies(? i think the speeling may be right) arrows.so maybe not so primitive as it would be handmade.

but heck i like the idea of being done by hand. i am currently working on my own handmade arrows. i dont plan on using any  power tools at all,unless you count a pocket knife and elbow grease as a power tool. ;D

peace,
                                                                                 tim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:07:07 am by Pappy »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 02:41:40 am »
You're right Sailordad, the dremmel is not primitive at all....but the results LOOK primitive.  Does that count?  ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 02:55:35 am »
The curve is caused by the natural shape of the feather.  If it is right wing or left will determine if it curves left or right.  It also determines which way the arrow will spin and which way you need to apply them if you add any helicoil.  You can buy a fletching jig or just keep practicing by hand. You will get the hang of it and it will go faster with time.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 03:03:17 am »
well i guess ifn no one sees you using it and they look primitive,well thats all that really matters :D

peace brother,
                                                              tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

alfadee

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 07:02:07 am »
i put my feathers onto a duct tape and cut them with scissors. on the duct tape you can draw the shape on the feather very easily.
then i glue them on the shaft by hand.
with a little training you can glue them as straight as with a fletching tool

david

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 12:36:27 pm »
I fletch by hand, it takes practice, but after a while it gets easier.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 09:05:20 pm »
I  fletch most of mine by hand. I Have started to Use the eastern 2 fletch . I like it,no glue just tie them on with a little helical . works and lokks great. ;)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline son of massey

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 10:09:14 am »
   Its not as tough to fletch all by hand as it may seem at first, it just takes some getting used to.   A few wraps around the rear end of the first feather holds it in place, then a few wraps around the next, and so forth, lets you get them in place pretty easily.   The just wind around the fletching making sure the feathers stay more or less evenly spaced.
   you dont have to buy anything, really.   i just keep my eyes open for goose feathers earlier in the summer and turkey a little later in the year, a feather here or there really does accumulate pretty well.   You can strip them by hand-the feather part peels off pretty easily from the core and it is ready to go.   The only purchased thing that i like to use is dental floss or sewing thread for the binding.   practice fletching a dowel rod a few times, you will get a system for all the little stuff by the 6-10th time, after a dozen or two your arrows will have perfectly nice looking fletching and you can start to embellish a little bit.   done be scared off though-the first one-four or so that you do will be a really frustrating, difficult task-but it gets better. SOM

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »
Kegan has showed me his 5 minute no jig fletching technigue, and it is my favorite. My best time is 6 min 40 sec! I am able to wrap the back ones, then pull the feathers straight, then wrap the front. I have even put a helical twist on some of them.

They fly great! Now I just need to learn how to shoot correctly and improve my aim!

Thanks everyone.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 11:37:34 am »
I have also tried the Eastern woodland two fletch, as mentioned before. Fletching this way, I have made an arrow in 15 minutes. From raw dowel shaft/materials to finished arrow. I have not gotten it to fly well for me, but I'm determined to get it to work. :)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 12:33:57 pm »
I put a good helical on the 2 fletch and it seems to help. I found that a quarter turn(90deg) works well for the 2 fletch.
Sean, Are you laying the feathers up side down on the shaft(back of feather on shaft). That makes them fly better.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 03:34:42 pm »
I use a Bitzenburger....primitive or not....it makes it easy, fairly quick and work awesome to boot!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying