Author Topic: first real point  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Strongbow88

first real point
« on: June 21, 2008, 09:32:42 pm »
A couple weeks ago i got a flint knapping kit and here is the first point I made with it. It was my first time working good rock which I think is dacite I love it. and probably my fourth point I've made. The larger flakes were remove using an antler billet. and for pressure i used a copper pointed ishi stick.

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/strongbow88/
Danny Johnson

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: first real point
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 10:19:08 pm »
  Great looking point Danny, you ought to be proud of that one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 12:45:50 am »
good job,keep at it.
with the looks of those youll be bangin them out left and right!
mbg

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 01:05:38 am »
Great job for a first or fourth :). That rock does look like dacite but the black point and the white bi-face are obsidian maybe? Welcome to the wonderful world of flintknapping - you'll be outfitting all of your buddies in no time at all ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:50:53 am »
Great looking points.  LIke you I'm pretty new to this and I've gotten to where knapping is my favorite part of primitive archery,  mainly because I can do it just about anywhere.

Mike 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:41:56 am »
Yeah I did turn out nice. I the black one i gave away to a guy who gave me 6 turkey tails and 4 wings. I have finished 2 more and broke one larger biface and have another larger one in preform stage. I am pretty good at thining them out and getting the preform. then i get to where i dont know what to do. all my edges are straight and thin but its not the right shape.   
Danny Johnson

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:42:02 am »
Danny: Size, shape, and semmetry all come together at the same time the way I make em. It's easier if you have a point style in mind before you get started. Thin out your bi-face while working on the shape, then rough up the edges just a little bit, pick all the little deltas along the edges to further straighten and sharpen, then add your notches if it has em at that point - gets easier with time :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.