Linked Events

• Patty's Camp-O-Rama: July 25, 2008 - July 27, 2008

Author Topic: Patty's Camp-O-Rama and primitive skills weekend  (Read 62953 times)

Offline mole

Re: Patty's Camp-O-Rama and primitive skills weekend
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2008, 05:25:52 pm »
Well, I'm back home and had a good time.  As soon as I get a hydraulic press, I'll get that boo/ipe to bend...

John
Northeast Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2008, 08:51:43 pm »
Well, we had a fabulous weekend. Thanks to all you guys for helping me slip into another year. WE had some bow building, heat treating and knapping rock, primitive cordage making and fire starting with a hand drill plus a bit of rain dodging, eating, drinking and prestidigitation. 8)
 Here are a few pics I took...the fire pit under the blue tarp is where some different rocks were heat treated over the weekend. I dug the pit a few days earlier but we,  started a fire in the pit to dry out the soil, then lined the bottom with flat stones as reflectors, added a few bags of sand then a layer or rock, more sand and started the fire. We cooked the rock Friday night and let the fire slowly cool down. It was Sunday morning before the pit was cool enough to remove the rock. Its amazing to see the changes in these rocks after heat treating. I'm not a knapper but I'm sure someone else will explain the process and changes.
  A few bows were started and worked on. Mole will have plenty of work to do to get the boo backed ipe bow where it well bend.  I think he likes them strong but I believe he will have to remove more ipe from the belly to get his bow down to the "strong" stage! ;D
 Enjoy.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2008, 08:57:28 pm »
...and a few more!

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2008, 09:08:14 pm »
Nice pics Pat. Thanks for having this again, it was a great time!.....except for the chigger bites in all the wrong places  :o  :D

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2008, 09:26:19 pm »
Alan, I didn't think I should be the only one to receive gifts so I thought I'd send everyone home with a little something. ;D  Enjoyed having you here. Thanks for the locust stave. We will do this again next year!!! This was really a great bunch of guys. 8)     Pat

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2008, 06:21:21 am »
Looks like yall had a good time,wished I could have been there.I know it was a blast. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DBernier

« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2008, 07:32:16 am »
It was fun Pappy. Always is when like minded fellows get together. Just emailed Pat about 40 more photos. Maybe he can get them on today.

Dick

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2008, 05:34:29 pm »
Wish I could make more events. Looks like yet another great time and I actually recognize a few faces - Steve, Cody, Dick, Barry. I'm just trying to keep some of em connected in my head so's not to feel stupid next time ;D..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2008, 10:41:40 pm »
Hey guys!  Looks I missed out on a real good time.  But due to circumstances beyond my control, I was not able to make it.  Maybe next time.  Happy Birthday, Pat!!! 

David

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2008, 11:44:22 pm »
David, I was wondering where you where. I figured the rain Saturday scared ya'll off. Sorry you missed it. We'll do it again next year.
Paul, I'll see if I can find a water tank for you around here that needs building.
  I'll try to get the pics from Dick up tomorrow. I think I have to download them to a disc first. ???
  Pappy, I'd love to host you guys for a change. Maybe next year. ;)     Pat

DBernier

« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2008, 01:16:47 pm »
Here are some of the photos I sent to Pat.

Dick

DBernier

« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2008, 01:22:06 pm »
Some more.

Dick

DBernier

« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2008, 01:25:39 pm »
Some more.