Author Topic: Making a backed bow: Hickory Vs. Bamboo  (Read 20078 times)

Arthur Herrmann

Making a backed bow: Hickory Vs. Bamboo
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:18:49 pm »
I have been dreaming of making a backed bow. Soon my 3 rivers archery catalog will arrive. Inside this magazine there is three options one could buy and use to back a bow. Round boo, flattened boo, or Hickory backing strips. All 3/16'' thick I think.

I simply do not know which one to pick.

What do you all think. ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Making a backed bow: Hickory Vs. Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:38:59 pm »
It all depends on the belly wood you intend to use and the design.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:14:51 am »
I've never bought pre-made bamboo backings, only made them by hand, but from what i understand, you'd still have a lot of work to do with them anyway.  The trick to bamboo backings (which i learned from Pat B) is to draw the bow shape on the bamboo, cut it to the lines, and then thin the bamboo to a knife edge, end to end.  This prevents the backing from being too thick at the tips.  With pre-made backings...i don't know.

Hickory backing strip...can't go wrong...doesn't matter what shape your bow is, the thing will be uniform thickness throughout anyways. 

If you have a tablesaw and beltsander, you might consider buying hickory lumber and making the backing strips yourself.  For the price of one pre-made strip, you can buy a board 6 feet long, 1 inch thick, and at least 6 inches wide, meaning that you could make 12 or so backing strips for yourself.

Have a good time with your bow, buddy!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:38:18 pm »
It all depends on the belly wood you intend to use and the design.        Pat

I agree. Hickory works on more belly woods than bamboo does. And some woods are so heavy that hickory would be a detriment, and bamboo would be the asset.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »
Save your money Arthur.First I agree with what is said here, and if you can't get, and prep your own backins, and  need some bamboo, go to the classifieds in the magazine and look first. There's probably some guy named "Richard" who can get you set-up save you a lot of money.

PS. he cuts his own too!

Richard ;)

Kyle

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 09:10:22 pm »
There is really no way you can go wrong with hickory, almost any bow type, not to mention that it is cheaper than the boo and especially planed and flatened boo

If you do use hickory there is very little chance of it overpowering the belly, you have to be careful with bamboo :)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 10:34:19 pm »
If it was me looking to make my first backed bow I would get hold of that Richard feller in the classifieds.  It seems to me that the best and safest way to start is by getting materials from a guy that knows how to make great bows and will pick you out some high quality materials to start with.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 01:15:09 am »
All my Hickory backed bows exploded !! :o :o  Get some Boo from Rich, much better quality than 3Rivers

...and if you get the boo right you can use it on just about any wood !!
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

radius

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 01:25:21 am »
i've never had a hickory-backed bow explode...one time i had a sliver lift up, that's all...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 01:32:08 am »
I havent had real good luck with hickory backings either Manny. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 02:30:30 am »
I've never had a hickory backing blow and I have used some with terrible violations in the grain.   I did have one crack across grain but realized the whole log I cut into backing strips had been invaded by fungi. Made good kindling! >:(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:43:49 am »
Ive seen bamboo splinter just as many times as a hickory backing strip. When ever Ive had a problem with a hickory backing it showed itself during the tillering process. Not so with bamboo, Ive seen it lift a splinter a year or more down the road on a finished bow for no apparent reason.  >:(  Just a observation.....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 11:16:43 am »
I've made many bows with both hickory & bamboo backings. I must confess, I prefer hickory. My climate is very dry, and bamboo checks (no big deal), but hickory excels. Bamboo is a pain in the butt, requiring much extra work... flattening the back, lining up nodes, tapering, etc. Hickory does not. Nothing, in my opinion, beats a well tillered BBO, but it means extra work and knowledge. Hickory is cheap, you can cut your own, and it requires no extra fussing. My vote? Hickory!!

radius

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 11:35:48 am »
OKAY...new question for all you hickory proponents:

plain sawn or edge-ringed?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 11:40:57 am »
edge grain!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....