Author Topic: Bamboo backed crabapple  (Read 6175 times)

Offline Kegan

Bamboo backed crabapple
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:28:44 pm »
Well, finally got a new bow done for myself, to my liking. It's been about eight months since I've gotten one done that I liked, so I've had very high expectations.

It's bamboo backed crabapple. I got the bamboo from nokswimmer I believe (thanks by the way :)!). I had started it a few weeks ago, but it came out to brace much too light, and just drawing it I ddin't feel it had much in the way of cast to it. So I set it aside and waited.

Finally I got the urge to make a bow so badly I grabbed it from the corner and set to work. I pike it, heat treated in 1 1/2" of reflex, and redid the overlays (whcih it turns out, were very necessary to keep the string from splitting the boo). I also narrowed the handle, having had such good success with the "Ishi style" handle I did on "Sparrow Hawk".

Once retillered it came out under weight again, after breaking in. I attirbute this to the fact I didn't leave the bow wide enough (this will be my last attempt at such narrow whitewood longbows that I want to pull in excess of 65#). Fortunately, it performs much better than I had hoped, and is only a few paces short of the cast of my 80# hickory longbow.

So here it is. She's 70" overall, 70# at 27". 1 1/2" wide at the widest, 1 1/8" at the grip. The tips are red bulleta, and it's braced about 6". I did most of the final tillering with sandpaper, as the crabaple was cut, not split, and so wanted to gouge with the use of any tool except the scraper. I finished it up with 440 and then lightly burnished it, and topped it off with floor wax and a leatehr grip for comfort and looks. I have no complaints with this bow- it is fast, accurate (I've already managed a Robin Hood with it) and is a perfect hunting bow. I'm very pleased. This is the first bow I have finished that I have tried to make it look as nice as it shoots. I still need some work, but it does look much ebtter than my others ;D.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kegan

Re: Bamboo backed crabapple
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:35:24 pm »
Last ones. Oh, and it shows only 2" of just unbraced string follow, despite having such a rounded belly.

I've detemrined since that crabapple does work well with bamboo, but should be left nice and wide to avoid set and excess mass.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:07:06 pm »
Dang kid, you got to much time on your hands.  ;D Great looking tiller.  You sure toasted the heck out of that belly.  :o Aren't you scared to draw it with the nocks that rough.  I would be scared it will cut the string and slap me upside the head.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:19:15 pm »
Thanks :). The nocks look a whole lot worse than they are. They're smooth, they just aren't pretty.

radius

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 10:36:24 pm »
the bamboo is very thick at the tip:  did you do that on purpose so you could bring the weight up? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:41 am »
Nice, Kegan. Interesting wood/grass combo and you pulled it off nicely.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

stonecarver

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 02:04:03 am »
Kegan,
Very cool I have been waiting to see this bow, :)
when I did a search on Crabapple I found your old posts at the start of the bow.
A very nice looking bow
I had wondered about backing crabapple since its supposed to be a really good compression wood,
your bow is very inspirational!
Keep up the great work!

sc

radius

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 02:25:42 am »
hey, did you find that toasting the belly caused any problem with the glue joint?  I just tried that the other day, and the glue separated on me...G2 epoxy, normally works great...waht did you use?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 10:10:38 am »
Radius, any heat treating should be done before glue up, in most cases.     Par
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 10:20:43 am »
Well done Kegan, tiller looks good :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 10:58:47 am »
Nice job Kegan,good looking bow.Nice tiller and 70lbs.wooooo
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 11:43:08 am »
I'd lighten those tips up a bit, if I was you. It'll improve cast, and reduce hand shock. Nice tiller.

Bowbound

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 01:48:55 pm »
Great bow, i'm seeing all these crab apple bows and remembering the one i chopped down and used for fire wood 2 years ago that would have been perfect as it was tall and very straight. GRRR. Nice bow though.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 07:35:35 pm »
Thanks everyone :)! adb3112, I nornally would have lightened them up a great deal, to get as much cast as I could, but this crabapple just refuses to respond well to the rasp/drawknife that I just settled for the slight drop in performance. Radius, I used Titebond II. Normally I do have trouble treating afterwards, but the rounded belly let me toast mainly the middle, and I never had to endager the sides. I also left the boo so thick because I had the core bending properly before gluing it up, and, this being my first laminate, I figured that bamboo with even thickness the whole length wouldn't throw it off.

Thanks for the kind words everyone ;D.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 10:14:28 pm »
Nice job.  I like seeing these different woods used for bows.  The tiller looks really good.  You love those gorilla weight bows.   :o
Traverse City, MI