Author Topic: 2nd bow - Boo_IPE  (Read 9231 times)

salad days

Re: 2nd bow - Boo_IPE
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 12:01:19 pm »
Nice bow! I love the grip and the tips are great. I learned that lesson about the tips the hard way too. With the overlays on it was really hard to scrape on without banging the tips all over my workbench. I bet that thing shoots like a lazer. If you run out of arrows you could just unstring and though it at a deer like a spear. The ultimate weapon ;D. Can't wait to see #3

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 12:07:55 pm »
You scored big time on those tips! Very nice bow and bookmarked for June Laminate BOM!!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

brian melton

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 01:44:52 pm »
 Turned out well Kieth..... ;D

Offline david w.

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 06:21:42 pm »
Very nice bow! :)  Looks like a screamer.  It would be perfect if it were right handed ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 10:16:56 pm »
Thanks for all the encouragement everybody.  I found out today that I need to have surgery on my left arm, so my third bow might need to be a 25#er for rehabilitation.  What do you think?  Maybe a short bow?  Maybe an ambidextrous longbow for my wife (she is right handed) so I can shoot it for a while?  I could make lots of bows and use the rasp and scraper for therapy, but not being able to shoot them might make me crazy...   :'(

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Rich Saffold

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 11:49:14 pm »
Keith, Another option will be shooting right handed, getting a friend to pull on bows and be a live tiller system until you get back into this...

It was a dislocated shoulder from an awkward hangliding landing which got me into this 20 years ago...Scraping on wood and then shooting again, this time with bows I had made...Pulling on the bow again was interesting for sure..

I'm sure you will get back soon, and a light bow is wise in the beginning.

Rich-not young anymore..

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 12:07:29 am »
   Kieth, Very nice bow, gotta love that Ipe. Another option on the lite bow is make it long. 72 or 74" would make it smooth and nicer on the shoulder.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 10:15:02 am »
WOW!  Man that is a beauty!  Those tips could be used as a spear if needed!  Just awesome!

I am addicted to hickory backed Ipe......just a great combo!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 10:57:41 am »
As everyone already said - Wow!! ;D. Fine looking bow and those tips, the way you rasped or sanded them to fade into the boo - I know that took some time. She's a beauty!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 12:16:52 pm »
Beautiful bow,love the tips ,tiller ,don't know how you could do much better than that.Very
nice job ,all round. :) You guys just amaze me,1st 2nd 3rd bows turn out like that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 11:01:46 pm »
Thanks Pappy, Cowboy, Stonedog, Mullet...  I am a bit surprised at how nice the newbies bows are coming out too, but honestly, they are just copies of what the Masters on this site are doing.  I would have had no idea to even attempt the things I tried on this bow without your examples, and I'd probably be staring at my 6th broken bow and wondering "what the H***" instead of shooting and enjoying the first two out the gate.  And I know y'all will be there for me when I start crying over the first busted one too...   :(

Thanks again for everyone making this the great site it is!  I wonder if back in the day, Bowyers freely shared their craft, or if bowmaking was top secret, cloak and dagger, national defense stuff?
Keith

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 10:50:44 pm »
I finally got a chance to launch a hundred arrows out of this bow over the weekend.  I notice I am able to shoot accurately at greater distances now.  It is a lot  :o faster and flatter shooting than my first Osage selfbow.  But my Osage developed a fair amount of string follow which I suspect may be making it softer & slower?  Now, with something to compare to, I think I am starting to understand the concept of hand shock.  The Boo/IPE is not terrible, but I am wondering if it wouldn't benefit from lightening the last 8 inches of each limb a bit more?

Keith

Rich Saffold

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 04:52:33 am »
Keith, you can pare off some weight from the tips as they are a bit thick. A bow like yours "ideally" should have no hand shock at all.
Brace height can affect it some too, or if the arrows are too light.

Rich

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 06:29:44 am »
Beautiful bow, and awesome job in creating something like that with so little experience.  You sir are an artist!  Keep them coming.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 07:46:59 am »
Great looking bow. What is the length/width on it?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.