Author Topic: What's the best bandsaw for my buck$?  (Read 10308 times)

Arthur Herrmann

What's the best bandsaw for my buck$?
« on: June 14, 2008, 02:36:24 pm »
I have been tossing around the idea of buying my first bandsaw for months. I have only been using an old hatchet, which takes for ever.

I need to know where I could get a hold of a decent quality bandsaw at an affordable price- I am only working a small part time job.

Please help!

radius

Re: What's the best bandsaw for my buck$?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 02:58:57 pm »
well, man i don't have  much money or much space, so i have just been using a ryobi 9" bandsaw with a 3/8" blade.  It's not great, and i wouldn't try to resaw any logs with it, but if you have a good hand and a little patience, you can  cut outside your lines and then sand to the line.  mY bandsaw and ridgid edgebelt/spindle sander are  a great combo for making bows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 03:25:14 pm »
I have a 14" Grizzly bandsaw(grizzly.com) with a 1hp motor and I would highly recommend it and anything else Grizzly sells. They have great parts and service department and a good tech service if needed.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Phillip K

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 04:19:11 pm »
How about a Bucksaw,ya can use Bandsaw blade, Sure is a lot of time and effort.
Harbor Frieght tools has import Machines for a good price, ya just have to maintain them every time ya use them.PK

Offline Mattco

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 05:58:38 pm »
I bought a Delta 14" factory rebuilt bandsaw for $ 299.00 - works great !!!  Factory warrenty for 1 year

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 07:46:37 pm »
It depends on how much you have or want to spend. I use a 9" Ryobi with custom blades at my house and I can cut 1" Ipe blanks out easily. But I also have a large shop with a 20" saw with a 5' table to use along with all the other large tools at my disposal.

I really like this Ryobi, I have run the crap out of it, and I got it in trade for a bow I made a couple years ago. With any of these saws its knowing how to keep the blades tracking smoothly and have a source for custom sharp blades. 14" Delta for 300 is a good price.

Rich

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 08:17:25 pm »
It depends on how much you have or want to spend. I use a 9" Ryobi with custom blades at my house and I can cut 1" Ipe blanks out easily. But I also have a large shop with a 20" saw with a 5' table to use along with all the other large tools at my disposal.

I really like this Ryobi, I have run the crap out of it, and I got it in trade for a bow I made a couple years ago. With any of these saws its knowing how to keep the blades tracking smoothly and have a source for custom sharp blades. 14" Delta for 300 is a good price.

Rich

Rich...where are you getting your Blades??? And what is the Trick to keeping this Saw tracking straight??? Mine seems to wander aimlessly through the wood.... >:(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 08:25:13 pm »
you have to adjust the blade guides this way:

1.  set them so they are just behind the gullet of the teeth.

2.  set them so you can barely slide george washington between them and the blade

3.  so that the barest pressure causes the blade to stop against the rear guide

as for custom blades...rich, tell me too!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 09:01:53 pm »
I just recently bought a Craftsman 12" 3/4 hp. It less than 300 bucks with a stand.  It is more than enough saw for me.  I've had no problem with locust, or osage.
Traverse City, MI

Rich Saffold

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 10:03:59 pm »
The local Saw shops is where you will get your blades. I get my blades re-sharpened for about 6 bucks, and a new one is 8. If you don't have a shop nearby, the nearest city should have one, and making friends with these guys is worth your time.  The one for the Ryobi also fits those little 3 pulley band saws. I believe the blade length is 55 1/2" since I made myself memorize this number.

The benefit of the little saw is how thin the blade is.  With a little practice get two pieces where a fatter blade on the bigger saw will leave you one.

You want the blade to run against the bearings with a little pressure, and I like a little more spacing between my guides. These bearings should spin freely, and be well lubricated usually with a gun oil, or whats good for sewing machines.

El Destructo you probably don't have enough tension on the blade for starters, and a dull blade wanders badly as well. Another thing I do before starting with a new blade on there is first unplug the bandsaw, then spin the wheels by hand and make sure it tracks perfectly on both wheels, and sits exactly where its supposed to. Band saws normally have an adjustable upper wheel and  taking the time to get this figured out matters as well.

On my old 12" Craftsman bandsaw which I moved to Hawaii years ago, and left at a friends place I used wider 1/2" blades and had great results with it. In the future I Manny and I will used it after hunting the hogs down the hill from where it sits.. :D

Rich

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »

Rich...where are you getting your Blades??? And what is the Trick to keeping this Saw tracking straight??? Mine seems to wander aimlessly through the wood.... >:(
This is exactly why I traded from a cheaper saw to the Shop Fox.  It has guide wheels not cool blocks. Buying a good quality blade will make a huge difference.  I get my blades at a cabinet shop. Ironically the guy at the cabinet shop told me I was trying to get my cool blocks to tight and causing part of the problem.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

salad days

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 10:36:50 pm »
I just bought a Rigid 14" bandsaw on sale a few months ago. It is a nice saw but I don't like the block adjustments. They never seem to stay put. A wheel upgrade would be great. Also no rip fence comes with this saw. I wouldn't recommened it if you had to pay the $369 buck full price.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 02:05:56 am »
I use a fourteen inch bandsaw that is actually a sheet metal ,metal saw has a gearbox on it to run it . the only problem is when it gets below 30 degrees out the gear lube in the gear box is to cold to allow the gears to engage .Got it from a manufactureing plant that put a bid in on some equipment that it came in with .Gave scrap metal price for it $40.00
                                                                 Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Jesse

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 11:31:28 am »
Grizzly 14" 1 1/2 horse. Great for resawing up to 6" plenty of power and a great price.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 11:54:24 am »
I bought a Craftsman Pro, 1HP, 14". Cost $800, but worth every penny.

[attachment deleted by admin]