Author Topic: Gorilla glue??  (Read 4621 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Gorilla glue??
« on: June 13, 2008, 08:39:47 pm »
Has anyone tried the new gorilla glue?  It is all I can find locally.  Has anyone had any experience with it?  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks.

Offline Dano

Re: Gorilla glue??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 08:58:48 pm »
For a glue up that doesn't get any stress it's prolly fine, but it ain't for building bows IMO.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline knightd

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:04:51 pm »
Thanks.  I was just wondering.  I have never messed with it.  Any other glues that are found at local stores that you would recommend?  Or should I just order the Urac and be done with it?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 09:07:17 pm »
You can't get titebond 2 0r 3 where you live? Both are good inexpensive glues and to my knowlege work for laminated bows.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline knightd

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:16:29 pm »
I looked at wally world but no luck! I guess I could check some of the wood shops.
 I am new to the area so dont know much about whats here. Thanks for the info.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 09:18:51 pm »
Wallyworld should have titebond , Lowes, home depot and or Menards all carry titebond wood glues.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 09:52:44 pm »
Like the others said. stay away from the Gorilla glue.  Any local building supply store should have titebond.  The TB3 is a slower set than the 1 and 2 so it gives more working time.
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 10:10:56 pm »
Gorilla Glue foams as it reacts and starts to set....creating air bubbles in the Glue Joint....not worth a Crap for building Bows.....do a Search here for Gorilla Glue....this has been brought up numerous times before with all kinds of answers to it....most not good either....I know Wal-Mart here in the Panhandle has Titebond 1 & 2 on the Shelves....but it is in the Paint department here....look or ask...I am sure that they have it....plus any reputable Hardware Store should have it too..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline knightd

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 10:16:16 pm »
I've already looked in the paint section and asked at my local Wal-Mart and they do not carry it.  Guess I'll try Lowe's, Home Depot.  Has anyone here had much experience with bamboo backing with the tite bond?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 10:19:41 pm »
Yep...it works great...I use Titebond 2...and split Bicycle Inner Tubes to do my Glue Up....never had a Bad Joint yet..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 01:20:55 am »
if you can't find tb glue you're looking with your eyes closed.  Hope you don't shoot the same way ::)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 02:39:34 am »

Knightd, you might try Harbor Freight if you have one near you.  They carry the Tiet Bond glues.

Offline knightd

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 10:22:12 am »
ok I found tb 3 at home depot. ;D Im going to glue up either a reflex deflex bamboo backed ipe or a hickory backed ipe or bamboo backed hickory. Any sugestions on which one would work best with the tb 3?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 10:42:31 am »
I have never built a Bow from Ipe....Just Decks and Stairways....but there are many that have

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7088.0.html

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6640.0.html

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6662.0.html

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7183.0.html

also Bamboo Backed Hickory works fine too...but unless it's a Board...there is no need to back Hickory...unless you violate the Back
2024...We Will Overcome