Author Topic: Wood sound on red elm with early stage of Dutch Elm disease?  (Read 2717 times)

Offline snedeker

Looking at a mature Slippery Elm tree.  This year it has scanty foliage and is likely coming down with dutch elm.  Think the wood is usable if I cut it now?  Has multible 8" straight trunks coming out of a clump.

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wood sound on red elm with early stage of Dutch Elm disease?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 05:22:01 pm »
Dave, I believe Dutch Elm Disease is a fungi but I don't know how it effects the tree. If it attacks the leaves or even the cambium you should be OK to use the wood for bows. I'd say to cut one and see if there is spalting in the wood. Also sometimes the wood just doesn't feel right. On a hickory log I cut for backings I should have known from the first saw cut that the wood wouldn't be suitable for bows. It cut ragged and felt brittle which is unlike hickory. On that one I had to learn the hard way. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:30:38 pm »
Dutch elm disease is spread by beetles and is a fugi, heres a link to wikpedia. I'd think if its still growing its still good for bows and if not
it makes good firewood. Could the lack of growth just be a enviromental issue like the drought last summer in the south?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_elm_disease
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:47:18 pm »
We did have a heavy gypsy moth season last year here in central PA.  A lot of trees are looking poorly, but I forget if this elm was affected or if the little catapillers like elm.  The tree is along a waste area next to the Lowest which is right behind my house.   It didn't dawn on me until recently that it was an elm.  It so close I can tote it home, so I'll cut some off and see.

Pat, its interesting you should mention Hickory because thats another topic of relevance.   I cut a young pignut two years ago and put the splits in the attic at the old house we use as our office.  Cut, debarked, and straight into the attic.   One of the splits is rotten with a bunch of little borer holes.  It was under a dip in the roof and I bet there was a trickle leakage.  The splits are fine, were in a slightly diff location.  I was checking out the wood and flexed the split on the floor (we can't help but do that sometimes, can we) and it gave our a big crack and puff of dust.  I want to make a eastern woodland D bow to give some Nanticoke indians I'm going to work with in Delaware.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 06:36:12 pm »
Dave I've made bows from elm trees that were standing dead from dutch elm disease before. It didn't seem to effect the wood as long as its harvested before the bugs get into it.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline snedeker

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:28:25 pm »
Thanks.  It shall be harvested.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:43:33 pm »
Hmmmm,,,.....
i'm originally from Nanticoke, PA!
 :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 08:29:36 pm »
We lost a huge old elm up in Nebraska to Dutch Elm the year we left.  From the first brown leaves to dead took about a month.  Very sad.  Wild turkeys used to roost in it, about 20 yards from the house.  The trunk was nearly 4' in diameter.  The guy I hired to take it down said DE was confined to the vascular system of the tree.  The wood looked fine when we cut it up and stacked it.  No idea how many cords of wood we left for the lady who bought the place.

George
St Paul, TX