Author Topic: about robin hood  (Read 17197 times)

Offline Blacktail

about robin hood
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:50:38 pm »
this might be for the guy in europe....so,was there a real ribon hood   or is all folk lore....thanks john

Offline sailordad

Re: about robin hood
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:11:24 pm »
well im not from england,however all legends do contain some truths to them.
 i have seen a documentary on just this subject. they claim that they have found the possible area that Sir Robin and the rest of the merry men lived.they even lay claim to the grave site of little john himself,the remains in the grave were quit large too,so you never know. its very plausible that they may have existed.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:36:53 pm »
thanks for the reply..i would love to see the documentary on that...i wonder if any bows where found.probley not but its fun to think about....later john

Offline Loki

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:17:37 pm »
There's quite a few candidates for the Legend and none of them were Knights! It seem's every Region of England can come up with a Outlaw to fit the bill but as of yet there's no evidence just similarities.The Robin you all know (The Saxon Noble home from Crusading with the Lionheart) is almost certainly a work of fiction :).
Durham,England

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:51:36 pm »
I understand there is some evidence that the name "Robin Hood" is found in rolls of archers ie those who were on the run from feudalism and the law and decided to join up might give their name as "Robin Hood" - in other words "I'm an archer and that's all you need to know!"  Of course which came first the legend/ballads or the pseudonym?

Yorkshire - around Barnsley is generally the preferred location for a real historical Robin, not Sherwood which seems to have come into the stories somewhat later.

Stan

Offline shamus

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:11:59 pm »
Read JC Holt's book.

Bottom line: there were outlaws in history who used the moniker "robin hood", "Robert Hod, "HobbyHod", etc, but there is no definitive evidence pointing an original Robin Hood.

Legends are often based on some truth, with a little bit of fiction thrown in. As such, pinpointing the original Robin Hood just hasn’t happened, and probably won’t.

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:56:22 pm »
Hey, I thought the Kevin Costner movie was totally true to life, including Robin's accent. :)

I read somewhere a while back that Robin may have been based on the Irish Fianan (spelling? Don't have my reference books here right now, but I think it is in the Táin Bó Cúailnge). Those guys were the ultimate woodsmen, and champions of the oppressed. Just getting in the group meant you had to be almost superhuman.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 09:14:06 pm »
From what I've gatehred, and I could easily be wrong, Robin Hood was a character based on a few archer crooks who fled to some bit of woods as a worst-case-scenario. They were poor archers, and lived by poaching (usually small game?) and theft. Of course, this led to the wonderful legend that we know, and that has been twisted.

On a side note, I have a book, Robin Hood, written about the time of Pope's Hunting with the Bow and Arrow, which in iteself is kinda neat (whilst the Brits were still singing their old legends we were living new ones :D ;)-  just joking). But moreso, Pope's book was dedicated to Robin Hood, who was still in vogue in seems!

Also, even in the story Robin Hood (Robert Fitzooth) was just a poor kid, decent with the bow, who was sorta tricked into being a poacher. Anyway, he was just some peasent who wanted ot be a forrester, not a noble who had everything taked away by the Sherrif.

Sorry for butting in :-X

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:09:31 pm »
What? A leader of a band of outlaws in one of the many royal forests, in an area infested with outlaw bands, and they shot deer to eat rather than starve, and the leader was one of the people named Robin Hood? What an unbelievable story!

kerbinator

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:56:33 am »
  :D My opinion is Robin was a Yeomen who went rogue. Then got his own mob together to fight for the less fortunate. Whatever he done would be remembered for centuries. Being an archer on a battle field your bound to see some things.

Offline uwe

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 02:39:13 pm »
Here is some information on this theme. May be you`ll print it...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline uwe

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 02:40:44 pm »
Now the rest of this part.

Offline uwe

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 02:50:37 pm »
And an additional text.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 07:02:19 pm »
that print is too small to try and read it

or amybe my eyes are just too old to read it ;D nope that aint it either,just tried my glasses,(took out the contacts first)still too small for me
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline uwe

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 11:30:46 am »
There are programs as free downloads to reciseor to make pics etc. bigger.
Regards Uwe