Author Topic: Bending wood  (Read 3457 times)

Offline bigcountry

Bending wood
« on: June 06, 2008, 02:56:58 pm »
Ok, so I bent wood for the first time last night.  ;D I took my osage bow that had some prop twist in it, and steamed 15" of it and pulled a tip ~1.5" to line up  with other tip and handle and put some reflex in the tip, maybe 1.5" or less because of about 1.5" of string follow I had.   So the string follow I had is now negated.

Everything looks good, but in the steaming process, the wood on the belly seemed to raise its grain alot.  I will have to resand it. Is this normal? Second, how long should I wait to retiller it?  I still have to reflex the tip on the other limb tonight and only will reflex, no pulling the tips to one side.

Thanks,
Mark
Westminster, MD

radius

Re: Bending wood
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 03:08:32 pm »
yes, it's normal for steam/water to raise the grain of wood.  In fact, when doing final sand, i always wipe the bow with a damp cloth between grits, to raise the grain and get the finest possible finish i can

as for when to tiller it:  WAIT!!!!  WAIT a month.  Do something else.  Go camping.  Take a vacation.  Build 3 more bows.  But don't start stressing that limb until it's damn good and dry.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 04:34:27 pm »
hmm, summer time in MD, average humidity around 60-75%, it could take a while.  Unless I put it in a heat box.
Westminster, MD

radius

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 04:44:25 pm »
yeah,and get a fan blowing past it, too, to lift away the moist air...works beautifully

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 05:12:26 pm »
Being osage I wouldnt wait a month. ::) Maybe a week tops. Osage doesn't hold moisture like white woods do. Yes a heat box would help speed up the process.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 05:37:22 pm »
Well, I still need to add antler to the tips, and add snake skin backs,  So I have alot of stuff I can do for the next few weeks before bending again.  I know I should wait to add the snake skin until its tillered but I figured it won't hurt.

Thanks,
Mark
Westminster, MD

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 06:39:11 pm »
Unless it breaks or something and you just ruined your skins. I never put the "purties" on until I'm sure I have a solid shooter.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:38:25 pm »
Once you add the skins you have also added more moisture. I had an osage bow that went from 55# at my draw to less than 45# after skinning it(TB glue). After about 2 weeks, it was back up to 55#.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 07:50:34 pm »
So actually it would be best to tiller after the skins are put on?  Is my way of thinking right?
Westminster, MD

radius

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:46:34 pm »
only if you are 100% confident that you can tiller the thing without ruining it.  I agree with who ever said the frills are for when the bow is done.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 01:19:00 am »
I don't add any decorations to a bow until I have shot it quite a few times. I don't even make a handle or thin the tips until I shoot an arrow or two out of it. I want to be sure everything is working properly, that the string lines up through the handle and that I have good early draw weight. Before then it is just a "potential" bow and not worthy of it's "Sunday go to meetins"...yet!       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 02:11:30 am »
only if you are 100% confident that you can tiller the thing without ruining it.  I agree with who ever said the frills are for when the bow is done.

Well, the bow was done, but then I figured I wanted to experiment with bending and straightening.  So now I have done both limbs, I figured its going to have to be tillered again.  And shot again. 

Thanks for the advise, no reason wasting some good skins if i break it.   
Westminster, MD