Author Topic: Blackthorn  (Read 12544 times)

Offline acker

Blackthorn
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:19:55 pm »
Hello,
I`m Acker from germany.
I would like to know if anyone here has expierence with blackthorn?
Is it a good wood to make a bow from? ???
Thanks Acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Blackthorn
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:33:13 pm »
Acker, Do you know the botanical name for blackthorn? I'm not familiar with that name.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline acker

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:42:32 pm »
Hallo,

Prunus spinosa. I hope its right.

Acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:54:11 pm »
I don't have Prunus spinosa in my books but most trees in the genera Prunus(plums, cherries, etc) will make good bows. Give it a try and let us know how it works. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline acker

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:04:32 pm »
Ok, thats the way to do it.Prunus spinosa is named in " The Traditional Bowyer`s Bible Vol.4" I just found it there.
Its probably not very commen out of europe.
Thanks for your help
Acker

Offline dantolin

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:08:56 pm »
Hi Acker,
I haven't tried blackthorn, but I also live in Europe (Spain) and I know (personaly) two good bowyers that use it a lot for making their bows, and for they it's a very good wood to work with, and performs very well, they say.
Just try it, and I'm sure you will take a very good bow from it. Good luck!
David

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 06:31:55 pm »

hi acker! - i'm from germany, too!

never tried blackthorn/sloe but i'm keeping my eyes open for some decent pieces to give it a try! i'm sure it will make a nice bow with a lot of character!

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:44:26 am »
Hi Acker!

I´m from Europe too and as my good friend said Dantolin :) ( David ), It is worth of it mate!
I´ve done one so far (a shortie) and It´s an AMAZING bow wood.
I´ll try to post some pics from this Prunus Spinosa shortie I did to let you know how this bow turned out like!!..

I have also ALOT of VERY NINE staves from this species to do whatever the bow I can imagine, such as longbows (both Warbows ELBs etc...), long Flatbows, Shortbows etc.... :D :D..

I think I´m pretty lucky to have the chance to get FINE pieces from this wood!!

Good luck and cheers...

Asier.
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 09:02:55 am »
Hey look!!

These pics have been taken some time ago now (some months ago).

this is the stave when thought I could left the bark on, then I started with the tillering when sudently it phoped of the back.
Finally removed it completelly!!

...the bow from Blackthorn is the one from bottom...

A detail from the wood...

Hope this helps!..;)..

Cheers...

Asier.

Far East Archer

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 09:38:17 am »
hello Asier!

I wanted to ask you, it the young bark greenish black? and when cut a little is it a bit purplish?
The wood has heartwood? and does the wood have pores?

I have a tree here with wood very similar to what you have.
The wood is probably the hardest we have on the island and reminds me of osage, without early wood rings.

I dont have pictures of it but I can get if you think you can ID it?
Right now I have couple samples of it, one tall and one short both about 2" diameter.
However....tall one has maybe 10" or reflex! :o

Alex

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 03:16:36 pm »
Heeeeyyyy Alex!!!

How are you mate??..;)..
I hope  yoou´re making alot of good Warbowssss!!..:D.

WOW!! 10" is a MASSIVE amount of reflex. The maxium  amount of reflex I got fro a stave was about 5" and it got me thinkig about that reflex for a whyle.
I think you sould to remove at least 8" from that feature, so with 2" from that sould be more than enough to get a decent bow with a very good performance!!..(at least that´s what i think mate...!!).

Regarding to the kind of wood you have there, in Japan, looks very promising due to that heavy wood it has as you said!!
The bark looks similar to my Prunus Spinosa that we have in Europe (purplish in colour..), but when the tree is young, I think that our species hasn´t got lighter bark than when older, just the same solour all the time in my sperience!!.
It also hasn,t got any recognisable heratwood in it and the wood is AMAZINGLY NICE by changing in colour from light brown to dark-deep Red-Orangish hues :D...

Anyways Alex, if you get a chance to get some pic of the tree, leaves, wood etc it would be real nice fellow!!

Thanks and see you!!

Asier. 

Offline acker

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 06:35:22 pm »
Hallo,
@Asier: Nice photos and forsure good bows! thanks for that.

I started today with the bow I took the bark of with my fingers to not damage the back ...well the back is fine now but my fingers are covered with stitches because of the thorns but it doesent matter as long as it brings me a good bow :)
It was interesting to see how fast the the wood changed its collore when it loses its bark --from white to a light red or purple in a couple of seconds.
I put one arm into reflex ...the other one was already grown in reflex 8)

@Far East Archer: Okinawa? WOW thats really far far away!
Take a picture from the bark , from the leave and from the whole tree I hope I might be able to help you

Thanks to all
Gruß Acker

Far East Archer

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 10:27:45 pm »
Hola Asier!  :)
I met lady friend, so I'm doing great!  ;D LOL
and yes, warbows everywhere! but some are of Asian composite variety. Im trying to make Warbow yumi, its been slow process so far!

So about reflex. Would dry heat work or steam? I have a form that would be perfect for this. >:D
No heartwood? hmm that is interesting.....I was looking online and I noticed in one picture the leaves look very similar, but the ones here seem thicker and darker colour. Also, I havent seen the thorns on this tree but then it could just be different type  ??? not sure....
I will get picture of the wood, tree, bark, leaves and flowers/fruit if any are visible!  ;) .....after it stops raining though LOL

hallo Acker!
Wie geht es in Deutschland?
Ich spreche wenig Deutsch und Franzosisch, aber es klingt witzig.  :D

YES! Okinawa is very far, especially from Europe! I cant wait to take trip over there, hopefully in 2010! ;D
I will get pics, and hopefully its right tree!

Ok, Take care friends!
Alex

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 10:16:57 am »
Blackthorn grows here in the States also....in the Eastern States mainly...it is also known as a Sloeberry Bush here...cant say that I have ever seen one except in a Nursery...or as a Landscape addition in someones Yard though...never had a piece of it in my Hand to work
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline acker

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 04:35:17 pm »
Hallo
@Far east archer: Ja, alles ok in Deutschland ;) no rain and very good wether 8)

Acker