Author Topic: My 2nd Bow...  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Staver

My 2nd Bow...
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:34:19 am »
My 2nd bow is now finished up and is shooting great.  It was supposed to be just a simple D bow, but I ended up tweakin' it here and there to produce a really fast shooter! :o  It's a piece of osage orange 55" ntn, 70# at 28" draw.  The limbs on this D bow are 1 5/8" wide.  The string nocks are 1/2" wide with buffalo horn tip inlays I bought from Mike Yancey.  I used steam to turn the tips a little and decided not to put snake skins on at the last second; I really like the look of the natural osage. ;)  I also decided to try using the floppy arra rest that Mickey Lotz recommends and I like it a lot! 8)  I don't have anyone else to work/learn from while making bows so I want to thank all you guys at PA especially Gordon Ferlitsch. ;)  I spent more time going back and forth to get information from the Hazelnut bow tutorial! 8) 8)  Thanks for all your help.  Joe H

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Staver

Re: My 2nd Bow...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:36:59 am »
Here's some more pics:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:59:01 am »
I'm impressed, for a second bow its very nice. Well done eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:28:10 am »
Nice work, good looking weapon.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DCM

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:31:00 am »
What you've done it typically more difficult than you may realize.  Congradulations.  Nice bow.

radius

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:38:59 am »
good one, dude.  I've used that floppy arra rest before, too...not too shabby

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 11:57:44 am »
Very nice job.That's a lot for that short a piece of wood.Well done. :) Tiller looks good and the finish
work is great also. :)
       Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:06:11 pm »
From the tips to the bowstring, you rule!
Pretty impressive bow and bookmarked, too, for June Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:14:47 pm »
Excellent tiller man.  Very impressive for just your second bow. The only thing I would have done diferent is take some additional material off the belly side of the nocks to make up for the added material from your overlays ....other than that beautiful job.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Rich Saffold

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 12:51:49 pm »
Ya great job!, especially for being so new to this..What Ryan said is something you can still tinker with if you wish.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 01:52:13 pm »
That’s a challenging design even for an experienced bowyer. I’m impressed that you pulled it off with only your second bow. I’m guessing we’re going to see a lot more of your work gracing the pages of this site – and I’m looking forward to it!
Gordon

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 02:00:30 pm »
Very nice job...all the more impressive since it's only your second bow! Ryan mentioned the only thing I could see might think about changing on your next bow. You can get away with some really small tips if you want. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Staver

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 05:38:35 pm »
Thanks for all the great comments!  I was thinkin' that I could probably take off a little more wood at the tips and considered making more of an angle for the horn tip inlays.  But, this was my first time doing the inlays and I wanted some back-up wood to work with in case they failed!  I've shot it about 700 times and it's holding up well, so I think I may take off a little more wood in the future.  I'll wait until I ding it up a bit, since I'm too afraid to touch it right now!!  Afterall, it's my favorite bow... for now!  Thanks again for all the help that's posted here at PA.  I'm just a neophyte so I welcome any suggestions or comments. :D  Joe H

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 06:01:31 pm »
man , who can critisize your 2nd bow!
sheesh.
if your 2nd is this good....cant wait to see youe 10th!
great job my man, be proud of that one.
mbg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 08:15:17 pm »
  Whoa! , 2nd bow? You did a great job,especially with that short piece of wood. Like Ryan and Rich said, you can shave a little off those tips and pick up a little more performance and comfort.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?