Author Topic: The "mystery" wood bow is finished!!  (Read 8147 times)

Offline n2everythg

Re: The "mystery" wood bow is finished!!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 05:31:27 pm »
very nice job with a very tricky piece of wood. I am amazed you got it bending so well through the holy sections. turned out beautiful. nice job.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 08:31:32 pm »
   Nice bow, and It has to be Osage working like that with the holes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 09:54:19 pm »
Dana here is a side veiw not a great picture but maybe it will help...

Near Dardanelle of Yell County Arkansas

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 10:08:23 pm »
Greg, This is the first time I have used beaver tail before but I really like the the way it feels. Mike Yancey showed me one of his a couple years ago with a  beavertail handle so I thought I would give it a try.  I made a pattern out of  paper to get the fit right. Cut the rawhide to size drilled the lacing holes and soaked it in water til soft. Then laced it on (don't pull the thread tight) the rawhide will shrink as it dries and rip the lacing out if you have it laced to tight to begin with. The next day I tighten up the lacing a little and tied it off.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 10:17:18 pm by longbowhntr »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 10:32:42 pm »
David...that is a good looking Handle.is that Gut Lacing or Artificial Sinew?? I always use my own Leather or Rawhide...and Gut or Rawhide String for Lacing myself...How much does the Beaver Tail shrink up?? I am going to try this one time...really is eye catching...thanks for sharing how you did the Handle......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 10:34:14 pm »
Ya'll are cracking me up with your "shooting wrong handed comments."  

Like I told El Destructo...

Thanks for looking close enough at the details to notice my hand.  Anything I post on here I want constructive criticism not just a pat on the back or a good job. I want your honest opinion good or bad. I want to learn as much as I can from all of you so bring it on, Lets hear it. :) :)

Thanks to all for looking and asking questions David

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 10:38:28 pm »
That is artificial sinew. ::) ::) :)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 10:38:55 pm »
Great job on a tough piece of wood.  How about taking a picture of the full draw from a little farther away.  Sometimes camera angles mess with the view.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

330bull

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 11:23:51 pm »
I knew it would look killer once you pit some finish on it!!!  Awesome job, you have my vote too!  The handle wrap looks awesome too!

Offline Tom_Brone

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 04:02:39 pm »
The bow looks very nice that's a fact, but I think you could have made the tips a bit smaller. They look a bit 'bulky' (don't know if that's even a word). The take down system looks very decent. I do hope the bow doesn't take too much set just below the fade of the lower limb. The unbraced profile looks good though. It looks like sage to me.

Tom

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 06:37:45 pm »
i want that bow!!!! nice job man. ;)
lets just shoot it

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 10:57:01 pm »
Justin here is another pic may still be alittle to close ...

I know what you are saying about camera angles most of the pics we took looked real crazy on the bottom limb where the has some prop twist just above the knots.

Tom you are right about the tips being a little smaller but I felt like I had pushed my luck on this one all ready. So I stopped there, also other tip has a small knot right at the end of the tip overlay that I wasn't sure would hold. The tip in the pic is about .5 inches the other is maybe a 1/16 wider. Thanks for your suggestion. That what I am looking for. :) I shot this bow alot yesterday and it seems I have lost some more reflex. I'm down to about 1 1/4 inches after resting. and pretty much flat when first unstringing. But it seems to come from the whole  limbs and not just from one spot so I guess that still not to bad.

One more question for ya'll.., does it look like the top limb needs to bend a little more say 6-10 inches or so from the tip.

OK maybe 2 more questions...

Yesterday when I shooting I flipped it over and shot it upside down, does the tiller not look better in the upside down pic or is it just me?  From shooting it I can't tell any differece in how it shoots but I may play around with that some more and then redo the handle if I have to.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:01:16 pm by longbowhntr »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 10:14:59 am »
The last picture looks pretty good to me,with a stave like that you probably ant going to get te prefect arc.If it shoots good and still 1 1/4 reflex I wound say you done fine.Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 04:27:29 pm »
Thanks Pappy!!

David