Author Topic: The "mystery" wood bow is finished!!  (Read 8146 times)

Offline longbowhntr

The "mystery" wood bow is finished!!
« on: June 01, 2008, 11:05:27 pm »
OK here it is, I'm about 95% sure it is osage by the way.

I know the tiller could be better but the prop twist in the lower limb and those knots gave me fits. I called it good when I got it to shoot with as close to "ZERO" hand shock as I have gotten yet. It shoots hard and fast. I have put probably 120-150 shots thru it so far. It had 2.5 inches of reflex when I started and just after shooting and unstringing it has a about 1.25 inches, after resting it back to about 2 inches. the most reflex I have managed to keep on one yet.
I sprayed this with oven cleaner to try and darken it up some, I could not tell hardly any difference for 4 days. It has 4 hand rubbed coats of truoil on it so far, I'll add a few more coats to it in a few days.

The bow is 59" ntn
53# @ 26"
Beavertail rawhide handle and strike plate.
Buffalo horn overlays.

Thanks for looking David
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 10:48:21 pm by longbowhntr »
Near Dardanelle of Yell County Arkansas

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: The "mystery" wood bow is finished!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 11:41:48 pm »
No mystery there David. Thats osage, and nice one at that. Great job. How long you been building bows?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:00:21 am »
Thanks Ryano, I have been  attempting to make bows for about 5 years now. They are getting little better. :)

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 12:01:45 am »
thats beautiful.  I love that :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 12:02:21 am »
Nice Bow....but gotta Question...I am a Stickler for Details....and was wondering....do you shoot all of your Right handed Bow....Lefthanded???    8)  
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline longbowhntr

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:20:18 am »
Thanks guys!!

El Destructo... GOOD EYE SIR!!   :)  No that is my left hand your looking at, I was born with a factory defect on my left hand (only have 2 fingers) When I shoot I use a sling (most times just a leather string) to keep from dropping my bow, at least most of the time. Have you seen how high a recurve will bounce after falling 20 ft?

Anyway like I said good eyes for the details. David ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 12:30:08 am »
You made a very nice bow with a difficult stave. Congrats.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:31:57 am »
Got your neat weapon all bookmarked for June Self Bow of the Month. Thanks for the post!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:49:26 am »
Thanks guys!!

El Destructo... GOOD EYE SIR!!   :)  No that is my left hand your looking at, I was born with a factory defect on my left hand (only have 2 fingers) When I shoot I use a sling (most times just a leather string) to keep from dropping my bow, at least most of the time. Have you seen how high a recurve will bounce after falling 20 ft?

Anyway like I said good eyes for the details. David ;D ;D

Yep....I know how far they Bounce!!! Been there ....Done that!! I also know how far a Cammed Bow Limbs will go..when you try to cut the excess Serving String with a Razor Sharp Knife!!! ;)

I should have paid more attention to the Elbow....Huh!!!! I too inderstand challenges....ever since a Bike Wreck in 93 ...I have 60 percent mobility lossing in my Right Leg and very little feeling in my Right Foot....and when I have to run a Backhoe at work......I have to tie a Belt around my Left foot to work theSwing Peddles...because I cant use the Right one!!!! The things you do to compensate!!!

I will tell you this....I take my Hat off to all of you...that take these Way Cool....Way Funky Osage Staves....and make these workable....Useable Works Of Art from them....I guess I will have to try it soon....when I cut Wood...or Buy Staves....I always look for the Staves with no Knots...or big kinks and twists....I guess I pass up a lot of Bow Wood.....huh!!!

David....once again....a mighty fine Bow you have there!! You should be proud.........Michael  "ElDestructo " Roberts
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 08:15:06 am »
Fine looking bow. You did a fine job getting all those trouble spots to get in line and behave-good work.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 08:30:55 am »
Looks to me like you did a great job on her :) How about a full length unbraced side profile picture?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 08:37:11 am »
Very good job on that difficult stave. How difficult was the beaver tail to work with? Could you show a pic of the handle area? ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Postman

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 09:57:46 am »
Beautiful bow - what did you use as a sleeve? I'd like to do a take -down after I get a few under my belt.   
Destructo -  My favorite way to ruin a  compound bow hunt is leave it unrestrained in the pickup bed so the arrows can pop out of the quiver and slice the string.  ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 01:06:02 pm »
Very nice bow,job well done.And I'm with Ray ,that has to be Osage. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 01:23:36 pm »
i thought he was shooting it WRONG handed as well.....until I noticed the ELBOW.

Nice weapon there mate and way to overcome what many people would consider a difficult handicap