Author Topic: question on black locust rings  (Read 3269 times)

Offline richpierce

question on black locust rings
« on: May 27, 2008, 03:30:47 pm »
I have a seasoned black locust stave with the sapwood taken off.  The outer heartwood rings are very thin and don't exhibit that strong grain contast, though I can "chase a ring" successfully.  I have it down to one ring and have about 1.5" of thickness in the stave now.  This bow will bend through the handle.  If I were to go deeper to prominent thick rings with nice dark contrast, I'd have to take off another 3/8" and I'd be getting to rings with smaller radius.  I can feel a difference in the wood between the belly and the back when I use the spokeshave.  What would you do?
Thanks

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: question on black locust rings
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:34:30 pm »
1.5 in. won't bend through the handle. Do you mean 1.5 wide. I don't understand why you want to go further down. Ae you looking for a thicker ring? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:05:14 pm »
You don't need a handle that deep if you want the bow to bend in the handle.  I routinely make bows with 1 inch handles that don't bend.  If you want to chase a deeper ring, I think you have plenty of room.  Also, it's good to have a locust stave that's a little rounded in the back since locust is much stronger in tension than in compression.  This means that if the back is flat, the belly will have to work too hard and you might get some frets.

Best of luck!

-Eric

Offline richpierce

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:42:52 pm »
Thanks,
Jawge, what I am saying is although not sapwood, the wood on the back has thin rings and also seems different in hardness or density than the belly wood which has thick rings that are more "black and white".  On the belly, it is easy to see the grain like on an ash stave.  I am wondering if the wood closer to the heart on this particular stave will make a better bow (fatter rings, more contrast in color, feels different to the spokeshave).

For sure a bow 1.5" thick won't bend through the handle.  I just meant to indicate I have to remove a fair amount of wood somewhere- belly or back- and need to make a decision.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:45:27 pm »
I'd go on down to a good ring. As Eric said, a crowned back isn't a bad thing on locust, especially if you're making a D-bow, which should be narrower than a stiff-handled one.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline richpierce

Re: question on black locust rings- thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 02:08:26 pm »
Thanks, boys, took the hatchet then the spokeshave to the back and took it down to a good solid fatter heartwood ring before breakfast.  Good advice is always found here.  It's just starting to bend a little.  Maximum width is 1.75" and it's 66" long.  I'll shoot for 55# at 28" and keep you posted.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:34:34 am »
just curious, but with a length of 66" why would you want it to bend in the handle? I have a few locust staves seasoning right now and will get to work on them soon. does locust need more length for a longer draw? seems like heavy wood, and a long bow that bends in the handle would have some handshock, but I havent worked it before. looking forward to your progress, please keep us posted.