Author Topic: riser block length  (Read 349 times)

Offline Justynwithay

riser block length
« on: October 24, 2024, 11:35:03 pm »
I am looking for advice on what the length of a riser block should be. I have made several board bows and a couple laminated bows with a power lam in the handle section and now I want to take a shot at hybrid bow. I'm trying to ascertain the length of the riser block. Is there a certain ratio of overall bow lenght to riser length? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Hamish

Re: riser block length
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2024, 07:22:56 pm »
What's your definition of a hybrid bow? One that looks like a laminated fiberglass bow, but is made of natural materials?

Offline Justynwithay

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2024, 10:20:47 pm »
Fiberglass and wood

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2024, 11:59:10 am »
For the length of riser block.  Minimum is 8”.  4” for the grip and 2” for whatever method you intend to mount the limbs above the arrow rest and below the grip.  Better is 12”as a minimum

You need to balance draw length against the angle the limbs mount on the riser and the profile of the limbs, so no hard and fast rule as there are a lot of variables - straight, deflex, reflex, r/d, recurved?  Then you say hybrid, so materials will increase the options.  I would recommend a certain amount of time is spent messing about with designs before work commenced, I wasted many hours and no small amount of timber the first time I experimented with 3 part take down bows.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2024, 08:28:47 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline Justynwithay

« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:02:37 am »
Thank's for the input stuckinthemud!