Author Topic: short bow brace height  (Read 281 times)

Offline feral

short bow brace height
« on: October 24, 2024, 09:21:45 pm »
I have made a 48 inch Osage bow, with two layers of kangaroo sinew. Just into final tillering. So far so good.
I have quite a few short Osage staves and this was a bit of an experiment.
So, anyway, can anyone tell me the best way to judge brace height?
I am looking at about 4 inches but I wonder if there was a precedent  with the shorter bows?
Cheers

Offline bassman211

Re: short bow brace height
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2024, 09:31:05 pm »
With a sinew backed Osage bow that length I am comfortable shooting it with a 5 inch brace. With shorter bows a little less ,and with longer short bows a little more. JME :BB

Offline bassman211

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2024, 06:51:59 pm »
The natives of north America shot short brace height bows, because of there pinch finger style of shooting. They pushed as much with there bow hand until the bow  would pull the string ,and arrow from the pinch finger hand, which prevented breakage .  Quote by Jim Hamm.

Offline feral

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2024, 06:18:30 am »
Thanks
After the tiller process, I sought of settled on a 5 inch brace. It seems to suit the bow.
It is about 50 at 24 but I can't pull it that far even though I shoot a 55 long bow regularly.
It seems to get to 22 inch about 30lb then just release the arrow.
But I am really happy with it.
thanks

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2024, 11:31:18 am »
Ya you might be hitting a wall there at 22”.  I’ve found this with some of my shorter bows too.  When shooting them I stay on target and let the fingers release when it feels right.  Very different then shooting trad or long bow.  I’m no expert on shooting short bows but just been my experience with my own.  I’ll get used to the feel of the tension in my hooks in my fingers at 50lbs and then pick up another bow like a shorty and find that my release just happens.  I think what’s happening is the sudden increase of draw weight at a set draw length or a wall causes the release.  I find with these bows I draw slowly and stay on target the entire time and snap release the arrow by feel.  Sounds a little chaotic perhaps but one can get fairly accurate with some practice.  I have to really practice this to get any consistent accuracy as I have a very long draw under normal long bow or trad bow shooting.  Just my 2 cents.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com