Author Topic: Two feather fletch  (Read 423 times)

Offline shootrj2003

Two feather fletch
« on: October 19, 2024, 01:14:04 am »
Saw an old post by “ Randman” on a two feather fletch for primitive bows,I am intrigued by the method he showed,is he still around on here? This appeared to be ,basically just two feathers layed length wise quill forward and fastened ,one layed on each side of the arrow with the other feather end just unattached ,pretty simple.i am “going native” and would eventually like to hunt with and knap flint tips .

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Two feather fletch
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2024, 09:47:37 am »
Never tried it that way, but this thread has how I do mine, for reference.  But seems like everyone does it a bit different.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,71905.0.html

Offline shootrj2003

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2024, 11:09:06 pm »
Well,that’s what it appeared like to me,a fellow name Randman” on here did it and up to yesterday I never knew of those super cool methods of fletching yours too now .I just ordered a dozen arrows from Silver Birch in Milford Pa. Near me I had 6 to be fletched and 6 to be left bare and I’ll try that way using my own Turkey feathers I’ve been looking to use for something.i also have a feral goose flocke here and wing feathers are easily found laying around.right now I am fletching carbons until the woods get here.i am using Gateways 4” in yellow and gray.

Offline shootrj2003

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2024, 02:08:31 pm »
Can artificial sinew be used or must it real real sinew,artifial sinew must be tied Ffor in some way as it does not dry and harden like real sinew,is there a source of real sinew?

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2024, 09:55:58 pm »
My 2 cents...

Don't waste your time with artificial sinew except maybe just to learn with.  You still have to knot it and it starts fraying and getting nasty after a few dozen shots.  I've tried coating the wraps with super glue, but that doesn't last either.

If you don't have sinew, cotton thread works pretty good, small enough thread that you can keep the wrap smooth, and then a thin coat of super glue over top to finish.  It will be tough and waterproof. 

Real sinew is the best in my opinion.  You can waterproof it with super glue or better yet a varnish made with pine pitch and alcohol.  This will be a really strong attachment and holds up great to a lot of shooting.

If you don't have your own sinew from deer or otherwise, I've been able to get some from etsy, but it's become pretty expensive.  Best bet is to get it from someone who hunts, or I've heard that processing places will hook you up if you don't mind doing the dirty work of cutting the leg sinew out.

Best of luck with your arrow building.  This place is great, I've learned a ton from reading through the old posts, too.