Author Topic: It's what's for dinner  (Read 619 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
It's what's for dinner
« on: October 15, 2024, 12:03:40 am »
Thought it might be fun to have a thread where people can post their venison and other wild-critter-based chow.  Recipes, pictures, whatever.  What's for dinner?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: It's what's for dinner
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2024, 12:05:16 am »
Couple nights ago, Bangers and Smash, with home-grown veggies and homemade elk brats.  Really good.

Tonight:  Elk burgers!

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2024, 07:13:50 pm »
Yep this should be a fun thread, my was Moose steak, inner loin from white tail batter in flour and fired in bear grease , also taters with cheese and fresh tomato and  banana peppers. Yum yum .  ;) :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2024, 09:48:16 pm »
Yep this should be a fun thread, my was Moose steak, inner loin from white tail batter in flour and fired in bear grease , also taters with cheese and fresh tomato and  banana peppers. Yum yum .  ;) :)

:OK  Looks great.  I haven't eaten moose for a long time.  I remember it being mighty tasty.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2024, 10:17:55 pm »
Love canned venison. You can cut up and can the less desirable meat. Sinew and all . The sinew dissolves and float to the top of the jar. Leaving you tasty little pieces of meat that are very handy for using with many dishes

My wife likes to mix them up with rice and vegetables.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:26:56 am »
I didn't take a picture for Sunday's meal; I cooked deer liver sliced 3/4" thick that had been brined over night, I flowered it in a garlic salt and pepper seasoned flour and browned it on both sides quickly in a fry pan and set it aside until I got the gravy made. Next, I sliced up about half a large onion and browned the onion in the same pan I fried the liver in, I stirred in some of the flower mix, browned that, added a splash of soy sauce and water (deer and soy sauce go together well) and made onion gravy. I put the very rare liver in the gravy on low heat for another 10 minutes, it was still very pink inside when I considered it done. The liver was fork tender, I covered it with onion gravy on my plate. Deer liver is the mildest of any liver I have eaten, especially if it has been brined.

I made poke salat by first sauteing lots of onions in butter, adding frozen poke salat that I put up a year ago in the freezer that had been blanched 3 times and the water poured off. I seasoned the poke with garlic salt and pepper, just about the time the liquid had mostly boiled off I broke and egg in the mix and scrambled it with the poke to distribute it evenly. Wonderful!

Next, I re-fried a pack of fried okra, squash, onions and green tomatoes, I don't add oil to the pan, there is enough in the breading to keep stuff from sticking to the pan. I always fry up a huge skillet when I initially fry these three ingredients, this gives me enough for a meal and 4 more single serve packs to freeze for later.

I added an ear of Amish peaches and cream corn to the plate and I was done.

Every time I eat one of these meals, I think about the people who don't know how to cook and only eat fast food that they pick up at a drive through window, they have no idea what a really good country meal tastes like.