Author Topic: Black locust question  (Read 614 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Black locust question
« on: October 07, 2024, 08:23:45 pm »
I have some black streaks showing up in the Black locust bow I am making. I got it when it had only been cut and split for only a few weeks. It was debarked and properly sealed. I put it up indoors and weighed it weekly to track the moisture loss. I do not believe this is a fungal rot, but I have never worked Black locust before.

Anyone?

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Black locust question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2024, 09:09:25 pm »
I see this in a lot of woods and believe they are mineral streaks from where it grew. I see it a lot in poplar and osage, the streaks in osage are reddish.

Offline Will B

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2024, 10:48:06 pm »
I’ve made a number of black locust selfbows and I see those dark streaks in nearly every bow.  I’m not sure what causes them but I’ve never had a problem with them.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2024, 01:25:54 pm »
I’ve only built a couple but seen the same . I just thought that was the characteristics of the wood.   
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2024, 01:13:42 am »
My friend dropped a big one in his yard not long ago, and my son, and I split it into staves. I will be hacking on those staves this winter lord willing. Black locust will for sure test your tillering skills, but made right it makes a fine self, or sinew backed wood bow. Good luck with yours.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2024, 01:42:16 pm »
Those streaks are just part of the wood. I don’t think I’ve made a black locust bow without them.

Kyle

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2024, 07:17:07 pm »
I have had those streaks in a bunch of black locust staves too.  Don't worry about them at all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2024, 09:29:11 pm »
Well, that's a load off my mind!

I got this stave for a pretty dang good price, $80 shipped to my door. I keep watching for this guy to post more for sale on Ebay, but have not seen him in a while. He goes by the name Othneil, I think. Nice guy to deal with.

The stave is roughed out using Sleek's calculations for a fast bow. Since he and his kid have set a few world records at the flight bow competition on the Bonneville Salt Flats, I am gonna go on record saying I anticipate decent performance if I can avoid the curse of the black locust frets.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2024, 06:09:30 pm »
I just reduced a stave last night, and today of green black locust as in wet. :BB 21 percent moisture at present.  One limb needed pulled a long ways to get it straight to the handle. I have a rachet strap on the limb, and will give it a click every couple days as it dries to get it lined up. Then on a form to dry. Streaks on the back ,and belly of the wood. 70 inch long bow.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2024, 07:30:06 pm »
No guarantees, JW, but I once had a black locust bow, built by Curt Briskey, that had some dark streaks like this.  I think it was just a natural color variation of the wood, not indicative of any damage.  Hope yours is the same.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour