Author Topic: Removing a jute handle wrap  (Read 264 times)

Offline Muskyman

Removing a jute handle wrap
« on: September 17, 2024, 05:26:06 pm »
I was wanting to remove a jute handle wrap that I put on a bow with titebond 3 and then put a Massey finish on the jute. Is that going to be a problem getting off. I’m not real worried because I’m actually wanting to reduce the handle a little. My biggest concern is the ring on the back of the bow. Would you sand the titebond off on the back? 
Any thoughts
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Removing a jute handle wrap
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2024, 05:50:15 pm »
I'd cut through the jute with a sharp razor and peel it off the handle. I doubt it would be difficult.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2024, 11:31:26 am »
Oh, if you decide to go this method be sure to make the cut on the under side(belly) of the handle where it shouldn't affect the integrity of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2024, 07:45:45 pm »
Sounds like good advice to me Pat. I just wasn’t sure how hard getting it off that tb III might be or if anyone else has had to do this.. I actually hate to do it because it’s by far the best looking wrap I’ve ever put on.. I have my reasons for doing it but, I won’t go into that. Hopefully it won’t be to hard and nothing else bad happens. 
Thanks again.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2024, 07:52:14 pm »
Just take it slow and easy until you see how it's working. A matt knife or razor knife would give you good control.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:36:20 am »
What he said... ^
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.