Author Topic: My camper survived a microburst and a tree  (Read 759 times)

Offline osage outlaw

My camper survived a microburst and a tree
« on: September 03, 2024, 09:47:33 pm »
A lot of you guys have seen my camper at the classic.  I built it around 8 years ago for hauling osage staves.  Now it's used for family camping trips.   We had just left for a weekend trip to a state park when we ran into some weather as we hit our small town.  In the distance of less than 100 yards it went from a light rain to quarter sized hail,  torrential rain, and stronger wind than I've ever seen.   Half of a large tree snapped off and fell into the road as we drove by.  It hit the side of the truck and camper.  Luckily it was the upper limbs and didn't cause any damage.  The wind got stronger and I was afraid the camper was going to flip over.  I pulled into a large parking lot and turned into the wind.  The rain was so hard we couldn't see the end of the truck hood.  I've never seen anything like it.   The truck and camper were rocking all around.  After it passed we checked for damage.  I believe if I hadn't of turned into the wind it would have probably took the roof off of it.  Half of the small town looked like a tornado hit.  Trees were down everywhere.   They were using a large loader to push trees off the main street.  Telephone poles were even broke off and power lines were down.  Once we made it to the center of town the damage stopped.  You couldn't tell it stormed there.  At the other end of town it hadn't even rained.   Later we found out that it was a micro burst storm and likely had winds of 100 mph or more for a short time.   I'm glad I used 13 lbs of screws building that camper.  We were able to continue on our trip and had some much needed family time. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: My camper survived a microburst and a tree
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 11:30:18 pm »
Glad you made it through safely, freeky weather these days for sure. Cool and tough camper , missed seeing it and you this year . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 11:44:59 pm »
Glad you made it through safely, freeky weather these days for sure. Cool and tough camper , missed seeing it and you this year . Pappy

I hated missing it this year.  We had too many family and medical stuff going on to make it.  We are going to try for next year. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2024, 12:19:05 am »
Glad you and your family are OK, Clint. Sounds like a scary situation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2024, 10:33:17 am »
I lived in a subdivision that was the equivalent of a tornado alley but was a microburst alley, for some reason the small area of the subdivision I lived in caught microbursts on a regular basis. As you witnessed, the ferocity of these storms was unbelievable.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 07:04:52 pm »
Good everybody’s okay and your truck and camper. That things pretty cool. Is that thing built on a boat trailer or am I crazy. Was the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2024, 08:15:04 pm »
Good everybody’s okay and your truck and camper. That things pretty cool. Is that thing built on a boat trailer or am I crazy. Was the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture.

Yes. It is built on a dual axle boat trailer.   I can fit over 100 osage staves in the rear storage compartment.   I went with a boat trailer to have the weight more centered on the axles.  It was also cheaper than a flat bed trailer.  I welded angle iron with vertical supports to make a flat base for the camper.   Now that I'm not hauling staves, the rear storage area holds firewood and most of our camping gear.  I made a slideshow video of the build.   

https://youtu.be/qnQbD_xO9KQ?si=xAkJ6jA1JYh--qpW

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2024, 11:49:12 am »
Glad everyone is okay.

I remember when you built that camper Clint. The last time I remember seeing it was when you were pulling out of Primitive meet at Marshall.

Hopefully it won’t be the last time. Your welcome to set it up on my beach if you make it to my neck of the woods

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2024, 06:45:55 pm »
Pretty cool video. As I was watching I thought he needed to put a slide of it loaded with Osage staves, and you didn’t disappoint. Liked the last picture, I think it was the last one of the puppy on the fender..

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2024, 07:27:29 pm »
That was my old blind dog.  Glad you liked the video. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2024, 12:22:33 am »

I hated missing it this year.  We had too many family and medical stuff going on to make it.  We are going to try for next year.

You ain't the only one to hate it that you missed the Classic.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.