Author Topic: So...how bad is it?  (Read 431 times)

Offline Jake Spoon

So...how bad is it?
« on: July 27, 2024, 10:32:42 pm »
Pictured here is a rawhide patch on the top limb of a bow I finished a few months ago and have shot about 300 times. It draws around 40#s and has taken right at an inch of string follow. I was shooting it today when I noticed a small line running across the rawhide patch.

I placed this patch over two pin knots for added insurance: the back was not violated. I glued it down with Titebond and then added a thin layer of superglue over the top.

My question is how to proceed. I cannot tell if the wood has splintered below the skin or not. Should I remove the rawhide and see? Should I add a sinew wrap, cross my fingers and pray? Use it as firewood? What would you do if this was your bow?

Offline superdav95

Re: So...how bad is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2024, 11:13:53 pm »
Jake.  Ive had this happen to me once as well.  in my case the bow itself was fine underneith but the rawhide i laid down craked like this.  I also had used tb3 to adhere the hide down to the bow and then tried to seal it up ca glue.  My theory at the time was to blame the ca glue and have since used tb3 to seal it up instead.  Ill still use it along the very edges where to wood line is at the edge.  so far it has worked.  I ended up removing the hide and redoing it.  its a pain to get off.  in your case id be inclined to think the same and blame the ca glue the hardened up the hide and it cracking. The other cause could be a failure under the patch.  If you have not see any evidence of wood failure or any change in the bow itself in drawweight or performance or set or shape then id lean towards to the ca glue being the cause for it cracking.  Id likely remove the patch and have a good look before putting another patch down.  best of luck
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2024, 12:59:32 am »
I agree with Dave. I remember a few years ago when super glue was used to seal snake skins until the bow was bent and the skins cracked like on your bow. The super glue makes the rawhide too brittle. Sealing the rawhide with the TBIII would be better.
 The TB glue will release at 150 deg. (F) so if you have a heat gun start heating at one tip, and begin peeling the rawhide up until you get to the handle then go to the other tip and repeat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2024, 01:22:41 am »
It's the superglue!

I never use anything but Knox hide glue to apply rawhide!!  Superglue is for overlays and cracks! If you want to seal your rawhide mix TB3 with some water and paint it on with a brush. Or put skins over it using TB3 to glue the skins down.
Never use superglue on rawhide or sinew only hide glue!
Superglue doesn't bend, it sets too hard.

Personally I believe your rawhide had failed due to the superglue.
If it's just a couple of pin knots then I wouldn't worry about it but with the weak spot in the "new back of the bow" it will more than likely fail.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2024, 05:08:51 am »
The super glue cracked the rawhide.Now is a perfect opportunity to pull the white off as it's not doing anything and inspect the bow. If there is no problems under the rawhide, leave it off, it's wasn't necessary to start with
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Jake Spoon

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2024, 02:07:05 pm »
Thank you guys for the responses--I will never make this particular mistake with superglue again.