Author Topic: How far, how fast?  (Read 881 times)

Offline StickMark

Re: How far, how fast?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2024, 01:30:39 am »
Hickory board, with two courses of sinew on back, with a thick center strip, so 2.5 courses of sinew?
NTN is 59", with bendy handle.
1.35/8 " or   say a generous 1 and 3/8" handle.
That width stays for about 9.5 ", and then over next 20", tapers to 1/2 inch tips. Stiff tips for last 4" about.
thickness is 0.5" at center gradually changing to 3/8" towards tips.
(back is gently trapped, if that matters for calculations)

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2024, 01:37:08 am »
I'm very sorry, but this works only for self bows. No laminate or sinew. Too many variables, I could never figure that out.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline StickMark

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2024, 02:05:57 am »
Sleek, how about this simple white oak bow.
White oak board:
60" NTN
4" handle, with 1 and 3/8 " width.
At fades, 1 and 6/8", going 11 ", and then
tapering to 6/8" tips. for that 17"'s. 
Bends in handle, slightly, with tips stiff about 4 inches. 4
Thickness:
6/8" at center, gradually thinning to generous 2.5/8", then thicker at tips.

Sleek, I am fascinated by that statement that we underbuild our bows. 

Offline superdav95

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2024, 02:16:09 am »
Ok so my math may be off.  Sorry about that.  From center of symmetrical bow.  4.5”+ 12” at 1.75”+ 8” tapered to 1.5” + 3.5” tapered to 1”+ 4” tapered
To .5”  at tips. 

I’m in process of building this bow aiming for 50lbs at 28” draw.  Thanks 

Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2024, 02:40:51 am »
Sleek, how about this simple white oak bow.
White oak board:
60" NTN
4" handle, with 1 and 3/8 " width.
At fades, 1 and 6/8", going 11 ", and then
tapering to 6/8" tips. for that 17"'s. 
Bends in handle, slightly, with tips stiff about 4 inches. 4
Thickness:
6/8" at center, gradually thinning to generous 2.5/8", then thicker at tips.

Sleek, I am fascinated by that statement that we underbuild our bows.

So white oak has lots of variation within its species. Up to 23% I went for its average properties and got a draw weight of 45 pounds. How heavy is the bow and what set did it take?

If a bow took set, it was underbuilt unless it has a bad tiller, but even then, it was underbuilt for that tiller profile. So yes, most people underbuild their bows by those standards.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2024, 11:06:30 am »
35 pounds
Set: 1.25"; 0.75"
I underbuilt.

And I think it just was a slightly weak piece

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2024, 11:18:25 am »

Example: 
Wood type: Balsa
Nock to nock 62 inches
8 inch handle
6 inch stiff tips
1.5 inches wide at the fade for 3 inches past the fade
1.25 inches wide at 4 inches past the fade
Even taper to .5 inches wide 18 inches from fade
6 inch Stiff tips after 18 inches

Thanks for this offer, Sleek!!  I can't take you up on it as I don't have any self-bows in the pipeline at the moment--I'm experimenting with sinew and dogbane backings on all my current projects.  But now I feel this weird emotional need for someone to build a 62", balsa wood bow with an 8" handle and 6" levers...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2024, 01:56:34 pm »
35 pounds
Set: 1.25"; 0.75"
I underbuilt.

And I think it just was a slightly weak piece

If you drop the 23% of white oaks range, 23% of 45 pounds is 34 pounds. White oak has such a huge range from essentially a rubber tree all the way to stout as osage, it would require a test of that wood to know what to expect. Also did you heat treat the bow? White woods soak moisture like a sponge and moisture content in any bow will cause set. If you haven't heat treated it, perhaps try that and let me know if that makes the difference?

Like I said, this is a learning experience and I'd not considered that a single species would vary over 60% within its own species. For example, is density ranges from .55 to .83, a 66% difference.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 02:05:37 pm by sleek »

Offline StickMark

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2024, 02:30:55 pm »
Heat treated the heck out of it.
But, this build i attempted to try the tracing method. Outlining on paper.  (1.25 set is on bottom limb. I string it w step through method.)
I went too ⁷far with sanding, those dreaded adjustments that i do at the end; your observation of underbuilding comes in play here, as leaving more wood to handle the final adjustments would have given me 43, 45 #.
I have a piece from same board, shorter by 8 ".
I am going to finish it today, but leave it much "stouter" in build: semi bendy handle, but wider. Will heat treat through out build, and get back w results.

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2024, 03:28:28 pm »
Heat treated the heck out of it.
But, this build i attempted to try the tracing method. Outlining on paper.  (1.25 set is on bottom limb. I string it w step through method.)
I went too ⁷far with sanding, those dreaded adjustments that i do at the end; your observation of underbuilding comes in play here, as leaving more wood to handle the final adjustments would have given me 43, 45 #.
I have a piece from same board, shorter by 8 ".
I am going to finish it today, but leave it much "stouter" in build: semi bendy handle, but wider. Will heat treat through out build, and get back w results.

How a bow is handled over its life will case set  I can't account for, such as the step through method over stressing the lower limb like you mentioned. This method I'm using is good for a fresh dry bow, that won't take set under normal conditions.

Your next bow being 8 " shorter will stress it more,  You will need more width through more of the bow to compensate 

Offline StickMark

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2024, 04:13:32 pm »
Starting on 2" wide on this particular piece.
I am happy with the set on the above mentioned bow, in that I am getting better at this.
Amazingly enough, on my penetration test, that 35#bow does close to a 41# bow, same arrow (14.5 gpp vs 12.5 gpp, respectively.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 04:29:14 pm by StickMark »

Offline Hamish

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2024, 06:38:41 pm »
StickMark. Have you changed your stringing method?

Step through is only appropriate for composite recurve bows, as they are a lot more resilient than all wood bows. I cringe anytime I see someone do that with their self bow. To try that when attempting to first string a bow, can leave an excess of set in the lower limb that sometimes the upper limb will never catch up with. This is fundamental to wooden bowyering.

A bow stringer is the best option, at least when first trying to get a string on the bow, as it, is more even with stresses. Then push/pull when its string able by hand.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2024, 01:35:57 am »
Hamish,

I need to go back to the bow stringer method. Around 2019, I built a second set of nocks into three bows, for a homemade 550 paracord stringer. Could use it in the desert scrub, by just placing the bow on a hat that was on the ground to avoid roughing up the back. Looking back, it worked, and I just got lazy.

The 35 pounder bow might have been more even then, with a stringer, and I can live with 3/4" set.

Will be a while before I first brace this shorter piece of white oak, and I will relay dimensions and set, etc,...and add that data to this thread. I appreciate this type of research.