Author Topic: Bendy Osage Tiller Check  (Read 770 times)

Offline Jake Spoon

Bendy Osage Tiller Check
« on: June 19, 2024, 12:21:47 am »
Hello everyone!

This is a piece of wood I traded Mr. JW Halverson for in exchange for a bobcat pelt.

It is 65" ntn, and the end goal is to have a bendy handled bow that is 35-40# at 28".

I am a bit nervy about tillering this thing, because it is the nicest piece of wood I have worked on, and because I have broken a few boards before this project. If you wouldn't mind giving some feedback on this tiller so far, I would sure appreciate it. Currently it is drawing about 30# at 16".

Lighting is not the best in my garage (especially during thunderstorms), so these pics are not the best--but they are the best I've got.  I apologize for the poor quality.

-Jake

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Bendy Osage Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 07:48:41 am »
Symetrical limbs?
Frank from Germany...

Offline Jake Spoon

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 11:20:06 am »
The right limb is 1 inch longer than the left limb.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 12:54:56 pm »
 A snaky bow can look funny at full draw, but it looks nice to me but without seeing the front profile it´s tricky to say if the spot 3/4 out on the left limb is a snake in the wood/ the camera angle or a weak spot which could become a hinge.

Also, it doesn´t seem to bend much in the grip by the look of it. Do you feel it bending if you pull the bow in your hand?
Stoneagebows

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 01:02:11 pm »
Jake-
That looks pretty good. You learned quite a bit on the board bows!

You’re almost 2/3 of your final draw length, so you should be pulling to the full draw weight (40lb).

If you don’t have a Gizmo, take a break from tillering, and make one. This is a perfect bow to learn how to use it. The Gizmo will immediately indicate the stiff section on the outer part of the right limb.

Keep up the good work and you’ll have a fine shooter.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 02:35:18 pm »
A snaky bow can look funny at full draw, but it looks nice to me but without seeing the front profile it´s tricky to say if the spot 3/4 out on the left limb is a snake in the wood/ the camera angle or a weak spot which could become a hinge.

Also, it doesn´t seem to bend much in the grip by the look of it. Do you feel it bending if you pull the bow in your hand?

This is what I’m seeing too, but like said it could be that kinky spot or camera angle.

I also agree it’s time to pull to your draw weight. At least I would. I usually always pull to my intended weight unless something looks ugly.

As for the bending in the handle. Be careful with it. I personally prefer slightly stiff to bending to much there.

Bjrogg

PS all in all I think it is looking good and I think you will be pleased with your finished bow.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Jake Spoon

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2024, 01:56:20 am »
Thank you all for the feedback!

I had read somewhere that when tillering bendy handled bows it was best to wait until close to the end before getting the handle to bend. That was my original intention but I may leave the handle stiff on this one. I wanted to make a bendy handled bow because I felt that the margin for error would be better for a beginner. But, this bow is coming along better than my previous attempts by a large margin (so far). If I can get away with leaving the handle stiff, I would like to do so.

I worked on tillering it out some more today, trying to fix the flat spot on the right limb and monitoring set closely by the potential hinge on the lefthand side.

Overall it has taken about 1/2" of set on both limbs. I made an outline on cardboard to monitor this before I started tillering.

Currently it is drawing 36# at 23." I know I took too much wood off in the early stages, so I have been trying to be careful to make up for some of it. If you guys think this looks okay--I will try to draw it out to 40# during the next session.

Again, I really do appreciate the help! I wouldn't have gotten this far along without it!

- Jake

Offline Aksel

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2024, 05:28:42 am »
Inner 2/3 need more bend on left limb
Stoneagebows

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2024, 08:06:28 am »
Front profile would be good to see!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Jake Spoon

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2024, 10:05:01 am »
Front profile would be good to see!

I see what you mean now by symmetrical limbs.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2024, 11:42:15 am »
I agree with what has been said about inner 2/3 limbs.  heres a visual that may help.  the inner on the right seems to bend little more then the left but just a little.  trace an outline of the bend then flip it around and compare the bend.  i realize its a asymmetrical bow but will still give you an idea of the bend. 

Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline TimBo

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2024, 12:48:15 pm »
I bet you will feel the handle flex just slightly when you get it out to full draw without taking any off that area.  Just work on perfecting the tiller.  It looks really close!

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2024, 03:43:40 pm »
Go slowly at this point Jake. I’ve screwed up some pretty nice bows by trying to rush to finish. Little bits off and lots of checking and don’t forget to exercise your limbs before you decide what you’re looking at. Getting close and looking good. Osage is some great wood.

I do have a question though. What is that on the left limb?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2024, 06:32:10 pm »
A side profile photo would show us where the set is occurring, and if an area is bending too much any particular spot.

Offline Jake Spoon

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2024, 10:47:59 pm »
Go slowly at this point Jake. I’ve screwed up some pretty nice bows by trying to rush to finish. Little bits off and lots of checking and don’t forget to exercise your limbs before you decide what you’re looking at. Getting close and looking good. Osage is some great wood.

I do have a question though. What is that on the left limb?

I didn't touch it at all today because I tend to rush too. I am trying to be patient and do a good job.

On the left limb I "patched" two pin knots with rawhide. They were not violated, but it was recommended that I consider doing so for insurance. Their was also a drying check a little further out on the left limb. It did not go through to the back side, but runs almost to the edge on the belly. I was a little worried about it so I soaked it with glue and wrapped it with thread. I don't know if that was necessary, but I didn't want to ruin this attempt by ignoring that.

It is kind of an eyesore, but I intend to "patch" and wrap the other limb to match once it is finished and shot in.

I will work on getting the inner limbs bending some more. And I will take another photo from the side.