Author Topic: Lefty-Righty  (Read 488 times)

Offline Muskyman

Lefty-Righty
« on: June 13, 2024, 11:21:53 am »
Going to make a bow for a friend and he’s a lefty. I can’t really pull a bow as heavy as he wants left handed to see how it shoots, I tried it with one I made a while back. How might I check it to see if the arrows fly okay out of it. I’m surprising him with it so I can’t just get him to shoot it and I really don’t know anyone who could shoot it for me. It’s going to be about 55 lb draw and I can’t pull it back to full draw left handed. Any thoughts on this. I’m hoping to get it shooting good before I give it to him. Would shooting it right handed like I shoot be okay or is there some other way I can get it dialed in?

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Lefty-Righty
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2024, 12:13:12 pm »

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2024, 01:04:35 pm »

(lol)

OP, you could shoot it right handed with a thumb ring, but that may be more effort to learn than you want for one bow.

Mark

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 01:18:37 pm »
If your friend is really interested in primitive archery, he should be interested in the mechanics of arrow selection and tuning. Let him be a part of the process.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2024, 01:24:00 pm »
I would just shoot it right handed and find an arrow that’s. Lose to what he would need. He will shoot differently than you anyway and will possibly need a slightly different tuned arrow anyway. If the string lines up through the center of the handle and arrow pass, it won’t make much difference if the arrow is shot off the left or right side of the bow anyway.

Kyle

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2024, 04:52:56 pm »

(lol

OP, you could shoot it right handed with a thumb ring, but that may be more effort to learn than you want for one bow.

Mark

You’d really laugh if you saw this fat old man trying to shoot with his feet. I’ll pass on that and just try shooting it right handed. And it’s a surprise nonBacked so he can figure it out after he gets it.
Thanks for the input boys.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2024, 08:43:05 pm »
now that's funny I don't care who you are, :) :) thanks I can always use a good laugh. :) I have the same problem when make a bow for a lefty, I am so awkward when I try to shoot left handed I sometimes how that do that. ??? :-\ ;) I just try and get the weight I want/ the tiller right and make sure it is lined up down the middle of the handle and let them tune their own arrows. What every arrow that will shoot out of it right handed should be pretty close left handed. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2024, 09:39:55 pm »
Me too Pappy. I tried left handed, and like you said (awkward) first shot I tried from about 15 feet I completely missed a 3 ft square target and had no idea what happened to my arrow. My wife found it the next day about 30 feet past it. Shot a few more without much better results. No shelf on the bow I was trying to shoot left handed. Not sure what I’ll do at this point but it’ll work out one way or the other. Maybe I’ll figure out how to mount it on something and shoot it.