Author Topic: String help  (Read 911 times)

Offline Muskyman

String help
« on: June 12, 2024, 07:24:18 pm »
I’ve not made many strings but this one seems to only want to twist on one end.
What did I do wrong? If I put the serving on it can I get both to twist the same or do I need to start over and correct my goof up. I know I did something wrong just not sure what.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: String help
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 07:29:50 pm »
Sounds like you forgot to put some back twist in before twisting up the second loop. I will twist up one loop and step on the end of the revers twist section to make sure it doesn’t come loose. Toull see that the bundles got a little twist in them while making the first loop. Twist them the opposite direction until it’s got several twists this way. Now, twist up the other loop. These twists you put in will come out leaving mostly untwisted bundles between your two loops.

I hope that somewhat makes sense.

Kyle

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024, 07:49:00 pm »
Sounds like you forgot to put some back twist in before twisting up the second loop. I will twist up one loop and step on the end of the revers twist section to make sure it doesn’t come loose. Toull see that the bundles got a little twist in them while making the first loop. Twist them the opposite direction until it’s got several twists this way. Now, twist up the other loop. These twists you put in will come out leaving mostly untwisted bundles between your two loops.

I hope that somewhat makes sense.

Kyle

yup amen.  after you get your first loop done count the number of back twists till you get the string bundles untwisted and running straight.  then continue the back twist the same number of twists and you be good. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 07:59:58 pm »
Thought I did that but probably not, or at least not enough. Truthfully that’s kinda what I thought might be my issue. I’ll make a new one tomorrow and try to pay better attention to detail. 
Thanks guys.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2024, 10:33:53 pm »
 When I make the first loop, of a double twist flemish string, I use an alligator clip, or bulldog clip(even a decent sprung peg will work) to secure the join, then just twist the other end, same as the first and it doesn't unravel. Once the string is done, I wax the braided sections then pre stress each end separately to lock in join of the braid. I repeat the pre stressing again as a unit, end to end. You can now string up your bow and not have it try and untwist.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 10:57:25 pm »
I know I could find info on the web but I trust people on here more than just any ol body.
So my question is how many strands of d97 for a bow of 45-50 lbs

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2024, 12:48:13 am »
I know I could find info on the web but I trust people on here more than just any ol body.
So my question is how many strands of d97 for a bow of 45-50 lbs

You could safely use 8 strands of d97.  You may have to adjust your serving thread and go a little thicker to better fit your arrow knocks. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2024, 10:37:09 am »
Figured I was using too much. My last one 14 strands.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2024, 08:29:32 pm »
I usually go with 10 or 12 with D97 but have done some 6 or 8 just fooling around they are safe enough but just a little skinny for my taste.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 01:39:03 am »
10-12 here as well. 4-6 strands can hold up but bites into the fingers pretty good if you don’t make the serving thick and the loops will need padded when that thing. But 12 seems to be a good happy point of performance and comfortable to shoot.

Kyle

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2024, 09:37:18 am »
I don't like skinny strings either, I look for the best nock fit when I make a string. For my Bohning Classic nocks 12 strands of D-97 and .026 zebra serving give the perfect nock fit, not too tight and not too lose.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2024, 01:34:39 pm »
Was noticing that a lot of serving material is spectra just like musky fishing line. Anyone ever used braided fishing line for the center serving on their strings. You don’t have a great choice of colors but 300 yards for about 30-40 bucks of 100-150 lb test. I think it’s around.020   Seems like it’s the same stuff, maybe. About half as much or less.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 01:10:43 am »
Plenty of guys used braided fishing line for the bow strings themselves and it works great. So I bet it would work just fine for the serving. On wheely bows a monofilament serving is commonly used as well.

Kyle

Offline bassman211

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2024, 01:54:31 am »
I tie 8 ,and 10 strands of D97.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2024, 03:09:29 pm »
I don’t like making strings. The arthritis in my thumb really makes it an unpleasant job.

I do have a system that seems to work for me though.

I hold both ends and twist both ends the same. If you twist one the opposite direction it will make the other one unwind.

The way I do it I don’t pre wind

When I m done if string is to long I give it a few twists from end to end

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise