Author Topic: new oak bow, from a stave not a board  (Read 11513 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

new oak bow, from a stave not a board
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:27:30 pm »
i completed an experimental run of southern red oak. It is from 1 of 10 staves that i got from a log.
its 61" ntn   2" limbs and tapers to 3\8 tips. the tips are single top grooved black walnut.  the grip is deer hide that i soaked well in black walnut stain.
     i was very pleased with the outcome of this bow, the oak surprised  me, its a very snappy shooter, real smooth and easy to draw. i tillered it to 27" but i am in need of a new scale, i did the ol' bathroom scale trick on this one. it weighed in at 43 lbs @ 24 inches. so figure 48-54lbs @ full draw. i dont dare weigh one on the bathroom scale at full draw anymore since i had one blow on me a couple years ago and gave me a good scare and a knotted head. it feels good and solid with about 50 shots through it now, but old habits die hard.
     i am very pleased with it, but with money getting tight around here i'm tempted to try and sell it to off set my Montana hunting licenses. dilemmas, dilemmas..... should i let it go or hang it on the rack?
   thanks for looking- Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Re: new oak bow, from a stave not a board
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:28:06 pm »
more

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 09:48:37 pm »
Sweeet! Dont think I could sell that one. Nice tiller too.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:16:10 pm »
  Looks like a keeper, Ryan. I've never tried this local oak. Good to see it will turn out a bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 10:19:33 pm »
eddie, i thought about it for a long time and never wanted to deal with it. but i found a perfect tree one day so it came home with me, its a far cry from the red oak boards at homedepot. kiln dries lumber and slow cured lumber is like night and day. - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 11:25:07 pm »
Nice!!   I just started on a Oregon Oak sapling today - looks very similar.   Don't know about yours but I have just a few knots and though its not fully cured, those knots sure seem to be some major weak spots.  Have you found the same?

Very nice bow - I like the shape of your handle - looks like it'll fit right in the hand.  I'd keep 'er.  But thats me.  :)

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 01:29:10 pm »
thanks mike- i am not so sure about the knots, my staves dont have too many in them, any that were in this this stave were very small and didnt seem to be a problem. is your oregon oak a red oak or a white oak? i have not tried any white oak before. - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 01:59:30 pm »
Its a white oak - I'll let you know how it goes.  I typically take a loooong time to get these done, just working an hour here and an hour way over there, as I can.
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 02:34:21 pm »
Nery nice looking bow, I like the tiller a lot
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 05:51:38 pm »
Very nice bow. I like it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 06:27:58 pm »
Oak's oak. And oak is always good for bows ;D. Looks like a real sweet bow you got there! Got a red oak bow drying outside right now. I gotta say though, I think you should sell it. That way you have an excuse to make three or for more from those ten staves- you know, to get over having selling such an amazing bow ;).

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 08:57:53 pm »
Nice looking bow.  If selling it means the difference between going to Montana hunting or not, I would sell it.   >:D I would sell most of my bows to go on a good hunt though.  ::) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 09:06:57 pm »
thanks for the encouragement fellas.
Justin- i already have my license for Montana and have family to stay and hunt with, i just think the "responsible" thing to do is use money from this bow to reimburse my checking account for the tag.  but like i said,  thats the "responsible" thing to do.
   if i do decide to sell it in the future where would be a good place to post it at?, ebay?...i hate ebay..lol  i cant do it here with out competing with paying advertisers. any ideas?- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 09:14:14 pm »
local classified adds.  You might be amazed how many locals would like to own a real bow.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 09:35:33 pm »
  Ryan, you could take it to the TBOF Fall Shoot in August, up in Ocala Nat. Forest. I sell some there every year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?