Author Topic: Boo backed Yew ?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline deerhunter97370

Boo backed Yew ?
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:44:59 pm »
When backing Yew wood with Bamboo should I leave the sapwood on or does it matter. Thanks Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Dano

Re: Boo backed Yew ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 07:33:00 pm »
It's not really important. What is important as you probablly know is getting a good gluing surface, by the time you get the back of a stave flat enough for bamboo, you probably won't have any sapwood left.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

radius

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:37:35 pm »
Of course that depends on the thickness of the sapwood and the width of the stave...

Man!  on Friday this guy brought in a huge load of 5/4 yew boards, all heartwood, all 8 feet long!  He says he's gonna build a dining room set with it.  I am trying to get some...he says his source has more, but might want to keep it.  Anybody interested if I can get some?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:39:03 pm »
Yea, I'm interested...
Gordon

Offline StanM

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 04:24:54 am »
Very interested...keep us posted.
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:17:32 pm »
I back bows with hickory or boo only if they won't make self bows. If your stave is good enough for a self bow, why ruin it(JMO). Find some yew boards or a stave that won't make a self bow, flatten the back then make a backed bow. Just my thoughts.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC