Author Topic: Canvas as a backing  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

Canvas as a backing
« on: May 25, 2008, 04:14:39 pm »
I finished a ash bow a while back and backed it with canvas. To bad it broke today! The canvas didn't seem to help with the strain but it did keep it from blowing up in my face. The bow had about 100 shots through it and was getting ready to go to it's new owner next week. I'm sure glad it broke on me instead.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Canvas as a backing
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 04:41:32 pm »
Canvas...especially Canvas that has a Hard Finish put on it...like Urethane or Varnishes....will get hard and brittle....and will crack just like the Wood when a Limb goes....I try not to back....but if I do....it is either a top grade of Silk....or Real Linen...no Natural Fabric is stronger than Linen
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:29:30 pm »
I have had backed bows break. They won't prevent breaking just help prevent breaking. ;)  The osage bow I posted last week that broke into 3 pieces was rawhide backed. It had been shot a few hundred times. After it broke I did an autopsy and found it broke at a small knot on the back. :'(   Oh well, I'll just make another one!  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:52:49 pm »
Now thats the Right Attitude!!! Many People think that a Backing will Stop a Bow from Failing....if there is a major flaw in that Back....the Backing....will help...but wont stop an Inevitable Failure....if there is grain run-off on a Board Bow....or if you have a splinter or two...a Backing will help.....but other than Sinew.....or the "F" Word...I don't know of a Backing that will prevent a Failure due to knots or any weak spots.......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 08:58:12 pm »
This one was a de-crowned ash bow. Which I've not had any problems with until now, but where i transitioned into a knot it broke don't know if it was a deep tool mark or what.  I had it tillered without the backing and shot it some with no problems. I figured the back was just for insurance since i was getting rid of this one.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 09:10:29 pm »
I would go with silk or linen. Canvas weighs a lot and will deteriorate like was mentioned.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah