Author Topic: Question on snakeskins  (Read 1175 times)

Offline bentstick54

Question on snakeskins
« on: January 22, 2024, 08:32:52 pm »
I have backed 4 bows with dried snake skins, but never glycerin tanned. I have heard of people using glycerin tanned skins by washing them good in dawn dish soap. Has anyone had any bad experiences using them? How easy/hard is it to remove the scales?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question on snakeskins
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 12:51:38 am »
One problem with glycerin tanned is the glycerin can repel the glue. The glycerin probably had alcohol as a carrier when tanned so I would use alcohol to remove it probably by soaking then wiping down the belly side of the skin with a clean, alcohol soaked rag. I'm just guessing because I've never done it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 10:05:00 am »
Thanks Pat. Yes, the skins I saw are glycerin/alcohol tanned.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 12:03:52 pm »
The only time I used glycerin tanned skins on a bow back was with a snake skin we tanned at my leather shop in the 1970's and I used the skins on a bow in the 1990's so I guess the glycerin had evaporated or something.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 12:26:03 pm »
Do you remember any special prep work, and did the scales remove easily?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 03:36:02 pm »
Do you remember any special prep work, and did the scales remove easily?

I’ve never tried removing scales from tanned snake skins but on natural dried ones fine steel wool seems to work well.  It might be the same for your tanned skins possibly. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 03:49:48 pm »
On the dried skins I just use some sticky tape (duct tape) and press it on and it will lift the majority of them off. Then I go back and dab a fresh piece over any remaining scales.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 12:36:53 am »
Has anybody tried dry tanned skins? They used a citric acid and salt solution, then washed and dried them instead of a glycerin/alcohol solution. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2024, 11:34:43 am »
 There is no reason to tan snake skins if you plan to use them for bow backing. Air drying is all you need and it works better than any tanning method. IMO

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2024, 12:04:46 pm »
I’ve only used air dried before and agree with you Pat. I’m looking for a pair for that last bow I made and am have not located any air dried yet. There’s just lots more options on the auction sites for some type of tanned skins.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 07:17:28 pm »
IMO, a problem with tanned skins is the skin is like a sponge and can absorb moisture or even the glue you use that can add unwanted physical weight to the bow.