Author Topic: Elm---more help please  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Elm
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2023, 09:52:20 am »
I would also go ahead and get the bark off, although it won’t come of as easy as it does in the summer it will be easier that once it dries and get tough, seal the back afterwards. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mad Max

Re: Elm
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2023, 04:20:22 pm »
Thanks
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Mad Max

Re: Elm---More help please
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2024, 05:28:56 pm »
Winged elm also called , Wahoo Elm, Cork Elm, Witch Elm

So the smaller log was cut to 40" or so for Billets.
The big log was split/cut in half, for 2 months now, Should I split the half's into quarters? half's are 13" wide on the  big end and 11" small end.
Should I use a skill saw to score it, then split?
I always though you were suppose to follow the split grain?????
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 08:39:03 pm by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Elm---more help please
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2024, 09:12:00 pm »
It's hard enough to split elm much less follow the grain. You should follow the grain with most bow woods, elm included but at least with it's interlocking grain elm can handle some radial grain violation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Muskyman

Re: Elm---more help please
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2024, 09:16:10 pm »
I would if it were me. I think it would help it dry out better. I harvested a limb off an elm tree this summer and I split it and removed the bark. I just split mine with wedges and a sledgehammer. I ended up with about 4 pieces total. It seems to be drying out pretty good. I’m not real familiar with elm so maybe others will chime in.