Author Topic: Help with reducing mass on tips  (Read 5397 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Help with reducing mass on tips
« on: October 17, 2023, 10:17:14 pm »
I feel that I am missing out on performance with the excess mass on my bow tips. I am going to post a pic, can I get some constructive criticism???   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline superdav95

Re: Help with reducing mass on tips
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 12:14:58 am »
Man. They seem nice a narrow to me.  Only thing to possibly do is maybe make the transition from the horn to wood shorter to save some mass.  A little ramp I guess.  They look real nice the way they are though. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 01:20:12 am »
I think the yellow paint and lead are probably weighing down the tips on the RH side. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 01:30:23 am »
I agree with Dave, John.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 10:05:48 am »
If you use the step through, or push pull method of stringing your bow you could cut the length of the tips in half.  Won't look as good, and increase in speed would be marginal at best. Your tips are pushing the limits as is. Nicely done.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 10:20:42 am »
Side view with the pencil and draw weight? That pic tells me if it’s 45-50 pound bow it’s not the tips it’s probably design. Need pic of side profile of the entire bow.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 11:36:43 am »
As has been said, less horn means lighter tips. Also you can make the cross section of the limb tip into a triangle, with the bow’s back being one of the triangular sides, and a ridge running down the belly.  That way, you still have the original thickness of the limb tip back-to-belly, but lose a little wood from the sides where it shouldn’t make much difference to bending resistance. Eventually you will run up against lateral stability though.

Cheers, Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 11:43:50 am »
As has been said, less horn means lighter tips. Also you can make the cross section of the limb tip into a triangle, with the bow’s back being one of the triangular sides, and a ridge running down the belly.  That way, you still have the original thickness of the limb tip back-to-belly, but lose a little wood from the sides where it shouldn’t make much difference to bending resistance. Eventually you will run up against lateral stability though.

Cheers, Bob

I agree Bob . I’m backwards as usual. I trap the back and transition to thicker more narrow limb tip the last two inches.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 04:27:29 pm »
Don’t use such a big pencil for comparison next time! ;D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2023, 05:59:44 pm »
only needs a groove on the back. Any material wider than the groove isn't doing anything and can be removed. Anything wider or deeper than the groove that is out beyond the string can be removed.
As I've said before... reduce it until it breaks, then go back a tad  >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 09:35:50 am »
Looks really good to me JW, But I ant into dainty tip anyway.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 09:50:16 am »
only needs a groove on the back. Any material wider than the groove isn't doing anything and can be removed. Anything wider or deeper than the groove that is out beyond the string can be removed.
As I've said before... reduce it until it breaks, then go back a tad  >:D
Del

Agreed. Yes also I  think that trapping the back keeps a bow more stable when diminishing mass for performance. That is if the tension is equal to or stronger than the compression

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 10:06:12 am »
A lot of people who make big clunky bow tips may not be aware that wood is 7 times stronger in depth than width. You can get away with a very narrow tip with just a little more thickness.

I love your tips John, very sleek and stylish. I suspect this thread is a little tongue and cheek, I get it.

This bow tip is very narrow but is actually 1/2" thick and very strong. I make all my bow tips this way. For those that don't know, the extra groove is for a simple parachute cord bow stringer, very easy to use and won't slip off the limb tip.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2023, 10:18:36 am »
I like it!
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2023, 12:56:01 pm »
 Yes those are nice tips Eric. I like them . JW you don’t have much mass that you can remove if you get down to it!