Author Topic: Glue for splice  (Read 3949 times)

Offline razorbak

Glue for splice
« on: October 06, 2023, 08:35:01 am »
Morning everybody
Now I have never done a splice before but I got a set of Osage billets coming what is your go to glue for splicing. I know many use smooth on but for one set of billets I’m not sure if it’s worth it for me? I will get some if I do more bows with backing I have used titebond3 for several but I know I need more gap filling properties
Any one got examples of splicing and what type of glue do you perfer and any links to a how to splice as I seen some on you tube but it was confusing on some
Thanks in advance

Offline Hamish

Re: Glue for splice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 09:39:19 am »
The good thing about Smooth On, or other quality epoxies is that they have a long shelf life. You will be using it in plenty of other bowmaking tasks, or other general woodworking projects, so you won't be wasting your money. I have had cheaper hardware store 24hr epoxy start to delaminate on splices.
TB3 will work, and work well, but the joinery needs to have much closer tolerances than what you can get away with epoxy.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 10:45:35 am »
smooth on

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 01:43:55 pm »
smooth on

Plus 1 more for smooth on.  They sell it in the one pint size cans too. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Online bassman211

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 10:45:58 am »
75 bucks  on Ebay.   ???

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 11:28:33 am »
I found this place online.  Don’t know anything about site and I haven’t bought anything from them. Also I haven’t checked it out at all, just saw it and thought I’d share.
Terrible picture but it says 1 pint ea-40 kit for 39.99
The complete sculptor
https://shop.sculpt.com/ea-40-transparent-laminating-epoxy-adhesive.html
Here’s the link
Much better than $75.00
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 11:33:32 am by Muskyman »

Online bassman211

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 04:08:37 pm »
Good heads up. Thanks. I will order a pint kit . I will pay 40 bucks for it, but not 75 just out of principle. Price gouging. A lot of that going on at present.

Online bassman211

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 04:25:10 pm »
I have some nice clean Osage billets, and the cost of the glue is what has been keeping me from using them up to build bows. I have used a simple 5 inch V splice with a nylon wrapped riser that has worked for me in the past with bamboo floor board bows.

Offline razorbak

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 11:04:02 pm »
Thanks guys I think I’ll order some I have heard of others using different epoxy’s but I don’t know which ones was used

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2023, 11:29:49 pm »
https://shop.smooth-on.com/ea-40

factory webstore    $34.76
fresh

Online bassman211

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2023, 11:51:38 pm »
Even better Willie.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2023, 08:06:02 am »
I use Unibond for splices, it is Uracs replacement. You can buy a quart of the stuff for around $30; it is much more expensive by the pint from bow making places. What I like about it is it is water soluble; cleanup is easy. If you keep it in the frig it will keep for several years but doesn't have a shelf life like Smooth-on

When I used Smooth-on I got more on me than the bow, it takes heavy duty chemical solvents to get it off you.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2023, 04:37:57 pm »
https://shop.smooth-on.com/ea-40

factory webstore    $34.76
fresh

Yeah, and almost another $30 for shipping and handling. Yikes.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2023, 06:59:58 am »
Has anyone ever tried the phenol-resorcinic glue for nautical use? It has a liquid part and a hardener powder.
It comes in a red color where I live, it's cheaper than epossidic resins and it's very strong, waterproof, insensitive to almost all solvents, resistent both to hot and cold temperatures.
Never tried on bows but I've used it to make kiteboard and they have to undergo heavy stress

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2023, 11:47:55 am »
Has anyone ever tried the phenol-resorcinic glue for nautical use? It has a liquid part and a hardener powder.
It comes in a red color where I live, it's cheaper than epossidic resins and it's very strong, waterproof, insensitive to almost all solvents, resistent both to hot and cold temperatures.
Never tried on bows but I've used it to make kiteboard and they have to undergo heavy stress

Yes, I’ve used Humbrol Extraphen on BBI, BBO and hickory backed ERC bows.  It is very good, but needs careful and thorough degreasing of the wood, and reasonably accurate mixing.  On paler woods it can be difficult to get an invisible glue line, but nothing will ever separate it once set. Be careful of any squeeze out as it’s almost impossible to get off of a kitchen floor for example - DAMHIK!!

Cheers, Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719