Author Topic: First bows, 1, 2,3, BANG, 4  (Read 1149 times)

Offline justin_olywa

First bows, 1, 2,3, BANG, 4
« on: September 11, 2023, 04:17:12 pm »
Hi Guys. First post here for me, although, I'm been reading here for a while and wanted to say thank you to all who pour wisdom and time into this community.

Here are my first attempts at an adult bow.

no. 1 - Hic. backed big leaf maple w/ walnut grip - 30lbs @ 28in. 68" ntn. This one has taken a lot of set, but is a sweet shooter and pretty snappy. For my first bow, I was rather pleased. It is the the far right in the picture.

no. 2 - Same as above, but not pictured. I gave this to a buddy.

no. 3 - Hic. backed red oak. 25lbs @ 28". 64" ntn. Reflex deflex with very slight recurving. This one is based on looking at Mark st. Louis bows and watching youtube videos of Meadowlark Outdoor gear. Second in from Right in photo. This one is a beautiful shooter, very smooth and fun.

BANG - Hic. backed cherry. 50lbs @28", 62 ntn. Highly reflexed deflex recurve. I had tillered this one out to 28" and put about 2 dozen arrows through it when it blew up in my hands. Very sad because it was shooting nicely and was my first attempt at a higher weight bow. I think it failed based on a small void in the backing (1mm wide by 10mm long along the grain lines) It may have been the cherry, but I don't know for sure. I'll post more pictures of failure in a little bit. It is the far left in the photo.

no. 4 - Hic backed cherry, 33lbs @28". Reflex deflex recurve. This one is a very fun shooter. Very snappy. I need to refine the handle a bit as it feels too chunky. I had started tillering with a 40lb target in mind, but it ended up at 33. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future. All of the pictures here except the 'bow wall' are of this bow.

So far, I've just been using lumber store boards that I resaw. I'd love to get ahold of some local Yew, but I want a bit more practice before I invest the time or money in that.

I'd love any and all feedback you might have. Thank you all!
Justin
- Olympia, WA

Offline airkah

Re: First bows, 1, 2,3, BANG, 4
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 06:22:38 pm »
Really love that fulldraw pic! The tiller is great! Thanks for sharing, I know ot can be intimidating to post a bow for the first time  :)

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 07:10:07 pm »
^^^What airkah said^^^^
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 12:44:34 am »
Nice lookin bows there.  Agreed on the good looking tiller
Too.  Welcome to pa and keep them coming.  Cheers

Dave
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com