Author Topic: 10 years later... my Osage is ready.  (Read 13512 times)

Offline lenador

Re: 10 years later... my Osage is ready.
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2023, 10:39:36 am »
Looking much better than I had anticipated to be honest. .good job so far.
Thanks! I am building a tillering area today. Actually it turned more into an area to work on bows and arrows.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Phillip King

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2023, 06:49:03 pm »
 :BB )P( (-S

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2023, 04:43:02 pm »
Thanks! I am building a tillering area today. Actually it turned more into an area to work on bows and arrows.
We all need one of those. Hope the bow is working out for you.

Offline lenador

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2023, 09:56:25 pm »
We all need one of those. Hope the bow is working out for you.

I've not touched it until I get my tillering area done. The tillering area is done but I need to finish the stuff around it. My wife does glass art and she has an exhibition coming up so we've been installing fragile glass pieces for a week straight. I have some freedom this weekend though.

Offline lenador

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2023, 01:10:29 am »
I have finally finished my bow working area and my tillering rack. I did have a bit of oversight on the design because I can pull it to full draw and I can use it to pull the bow weight scale. Anywho... I can finally move on to tillering my Osage bow.
  Btw, my red oak bow in the tillering rack is my read oak D bow and it pulled 41 lbs ant 28".

Offline superdav95

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2023, 01:50:33 am »
That will work. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2023, 09:52:30 am »
Because every bow I made with a side checked stave failed, I toss every such stave in the future tool handle pile or burn it outright. I hope you have better luck with your stave than I had with a bunch of mine.

Offline lenador

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2023, 10:12:00 am »
Because every bow I made with a side checked stave failed, I toss every such stave in the future tool handle pile or burn it outright. I hope you have better luck with your stave than I had with a bunch of mine.
As far as I'm concerned it's already been successful. This little project forced me to finally acquireich needed tools for proper bow building such as building my work area and tillering rack, it forced me to finally take my shooting more seriously and learn how to tune an arrow. I've this thing pops on the first pull I have the confidence and tools to make something nice out of the pile of staves next to it. 👍

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2023, 02:10:19 pm »
Good attitude. Junk staves will teach you 10x more than good ones. But, learning how to drive in the winter on bald tires can be tricky :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lenador

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2023, 11:03:22 am »
Slowly but surely tillering. I'm to the point I need to put nocks in and get a string on it. It at about 38 lbs in this picture. So I'm confident I have room to bring it down to 45-50 at my 28" draw length.

I am worried about the checks in the tip. The one seems to have opened up during the tillering because the glue wasn't able to oentrate deep enough. I'm going to try to get the bow tillered to a lowe weight and get nocks done and see what the crack looks like after that and try to clge them and not touch them.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2023, 10:56:00 am »
Looks good to me so far. Bend looks like it’s even. I’ve had sore spots disappear as I kept working the limbs down. Maybe once you get the limbs thinner you can get some glue into the check on the tip.
Good luck with it.

Offline lenador

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2023, 11:34:48 am »
Looks good to me so far. Bend looks like it’s even. I’ve had sore spots disappear as I kept working the limbs down. Maybe once you get the limbs thinner you can get some glue into the check on the tip.
Good luck with it.
That's the plan, the seem to be only on the side so I think I can get it to a brace and get a string on it today and glue the checks after I tiller it the rest of the way. I need to build a jig first. My tips need  some straighting. I can feel it in the handle when you pull back. Might even reflex the tips a bit.
 The back is very rounded. Seems to be tillering fine so I'm rolling with it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2023, 04:25:51 pm »
Fake workshop.

Too clean.

I said what I said.

:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2023, 04:39:42 pm »
Too funny!   You’d like my shop then!  I call it organized chaos.  Lol
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2023, 09:56:32 pm »
What my shop needs is a dust collection system. Everything is covered with dust and the floor is taking on a Osage orange cast to it. It did start out like the picture above but that didn’t last. Started out a shed for me and my wife but I kinda took it over and now my wife says I have to build one for her.  :BB