Author Topic: Bucket List Bow  (Read 2972 times)

Offline airkah

Re: Bucket List Bow
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2023, 09:43:54 pm »
Aksel - 100% agree with you. For ne, it is always fun to experiment with a new wood and see how it works.

Superdav95 - thabk you! I always obsess over the tiller, to the point I start to question everything so its nice to have soke confirmation it really does look good.

Piddler, Will B, TimBo, PASteve, Selfbowman- thank you guys so much. It always feels so amazing to hear from other bowyers that they like my bows.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2023, 07:47:12 am »
Nice bow.  You did a fine job with that stave
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2023, 10:45:51 am »
Nice bow and especially a cute little bugger you have there in your arms :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2023, 12:02:35 pm »
Great job on that one. I still haven’t tried yew either but it’s on the list for sure

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2023, 12:18:49 pm »
"I believe the fact that it takes longer than my lifetime for this wood to grow enough to make a useable stave means that the wood is owed a certain level of respect."

I completely understand where you are coming from. I lucked onto a piece of yew that Gilman Keasey cut and put up to cure long ago. I have sat on it for four years now and I am loathe to touch it with a tool until I have made a couple of successful billet bows or takedowns since that is ultimately what I will need to do with this wood. I feel I have no room for error and should have more than just a good idea what I am going to do, I should have a solid plan and the practice to pull it off.

It looks like you used your time wisely to work out a good plan for this one. It shows in the graceful lines and the performance numbers speak for themselves. Well done, well done indeed.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Juan Ant. Espinosa

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2023, 06:18:11 am »
Thatīs a really nice one!. Congratulations for the bow and for your little girl!.
You wrote it was a 35 rpi piece, but I donīt understand what it means.
Also, I imagine it is a pacific yew stave, not the Taxus baccata one, isnīt it?. Are these two woods performing similar?.
Iīve been noticing several yew bows finished with very rounded back and valley side edges. Is this something interesting specially for yew?.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2023, 10:06:08 am »
Nice. A lady's touch. Back in the day I shot  bench rest with a 22-250 rem 40x  that would shoot 1/4 inch groups with my hand load.. My wife never having shot much shot a .212 group with it one evening. I shot a 251 with it that evening. Some times their is nothing like a women's touch. Enjoy your bow.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2023, 04:02:11 pm »
Beautiful bow all around, knocked that one out the park….
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2023, 08:20:49 pm »
 Beautiful bow in all aspects, very nice work. Congrats on the new little girl also, bow and baby both beautiful. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline airkah

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2023, 09:45:41 pm »
Marc - thank you so much! There are some people here that there approval really means a lot to me and you are one of them

Pearl Drums- thank you, yeah she's a good baby, I got really lucky.

JW- It sounds like you get into that same mindset I do. You've been doing this long enough, I'm so sure that it will end up coming out great.

Juan- yes it is pacific yew. I don't have firsthand knowledge, but my understanding is pacific yew abd european yew are somewhat similar.

Bassman -thank you!

Stixnstones- glad you think so, I was really worried I wouldn't when I started it.

Pappy- between the vow and the baby it has been a good year for me so far

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2023, 06:23:58 pm »
congrats,,nice bow,,nice speed,, :)