Author Topic: Bucket List Bow  (Read 2971 times)

Offline airkah

Bucket List Bow
« on: September 09, 2023, 07:21:54 pm »
Yew for me has always held a legendary status. It is the wood of English longbows 600 years ago, the wood of Saxton Pope and archers of his era and the wood of some pretty incredible bows I've seen from bowyers here. When I first started down this journey of making my own bow from close to a decade ago, I used red oak boards. I knew someday I wanted to try using yew myself, just to have that experience. I believe the fact that it takes longer than my lifetime for this wood to grow enough to make a useable stave means that the wood is owed a certain level of respect. For a couple years I had this yew stave in my house, but I just never felt like my skill level was high enough to actually make the caliber of bow I feel like this wood deserves. Honestly when I started this bow I still didn't feel like I was worthy. But, I had the realization that after my daughter was born, there was a good chance that life would get in the way and the stave would never become a bow. So I started slowly working on it. 7 months later, I'm finally finished.

The bow itself is made from a small diameter piece of 35 rpi yew. The final bow is 63 inches from nock to nock, a little under one and half inches wide out of the fades, tapering down to 3/8ths at the tip and pulling 42lbs at 28 inches. The tip overlays are black walnut and red elm and I finished the bow with several coats of tru-oil. With this bow I didn't really try to push the limits of what the wood was capable of, but it still came out as one of my better performers - My chronograph measures a 10 gpp arrow around 170fps. I'm hoping this bow will survive for decades to come.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 09:13:09 pm by airkah »

Offline sleek

Re: Bucket List Bow
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 07:52:57 pm »
Holy crap that looks amazing and the speed speaks for itself! the craftsmanship looks on point as well. You should be proud! I love the profile as well, one of my favorite.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 08:54:24 pm »
Well you can check that one off your bucket list. Well done Airkah. You certainly made that piece of yew proud.

I’m trying to remember. I’m thinking thats the third bow you’ve posted here?

I’m thinking it’s another winner.

And your little girl too.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 09:55:30 pm »
That looks fantastic. I really like the slight reflex out of the fades giving it almost a 5 curve look. Reallt solid work.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 10:10:47 pm »
What Kidder said+1

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 10:39:45 pm »
Good things come to those who wait and you have 2 fine examples of that phrase. Congrats to both. Yew is such a beautiful bow wood and you have certainly brought that beauty out with this bow.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 10:43:21 pm »
Great looking bow Airkah. Really cute little girl too.

Offline airkah

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 12:22:46 am »
Sleek - thank you! I've only ever made one bow rhat was faster than this.

Bjrogg - yeah its the 3rd bow I've posted here. I have another one that I just need to decide what I'm doing for a handle wrap and take some pictures and it's finished. I don't know when that will happen, but I promise I'll post it when I do.

Kidder and Hamish - the stave had that little bit of reflex in it naturally, so I centered the handle on it to give that effect. The tips I boiled the reflex in.

Pat B an Muskyman- thank you both! I agree they're both well worth the wait  :)

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 09:48:12 am »
Looks great ! Enjoy
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 12:25:54 pm »
Exceptional work. Congratulations!
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Aksel

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 02:07:50 pm »
That bow looks very nice, congrats!

I started working a bit with yew last year and it does feel very special to make a bow from. But so are many bow woods to anyone who doesn´t have access to it. Someone who have loads of yew wish he also had good elm. The elm guy is dreaming about black locust. The black Locust bowyer is obsessing over dogwood, etc ad absurdum  :D

Stoneagebows

Offline superdav95

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 02:08:49 pm »
Wow.  That’s a bow to be proud of.  Very well done and very nice looking tiller.  I think you did that piece of wood justice.  Very nice indeed. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline TimBo

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2023, 04:11:53 pm »
That's a great looking bow! 

Offline Will B

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 05:01:10 pm »
That is a beautiful bow. You definitely nailed it!  Great job!

Offline Piddler

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2023, 06:10:22 pm »
Airkah. As many have said, Excellent work.
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"