Author Topic: Flats or Bust  (Read 4755 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Flats or Bust
« on: August 16, 2023, 12:11:25 pm »
It’s been to long since I have posted a bow. And certainly too long finishing up this one. Sometimes that happens when you are trying to get it perfect.

I got this stave from a pretty special guy. I didn’t even ask for it. He simply sent it to me. I couldn’t compensate him enough for it. It was by far the nicest stave I ever saw.

Of course me being me. I could see two bows in it.

It had very thick late wood rings and hardly anything for early wood rings. It behaved completely different than any Osage I have split in the past. Usually it kinda follows the early wood ring. This split right off the top of the stave.

I was flabbergasted.

I stood there holding what should have been the bonus stave. The stave the real bow should have come from was ruined.

I proceeded much more carefully and stored that experience in the do not do again file.

I wanted to make this bow for an event I would like to attend someday. Someday is probably what I should have named it, but I named her “Flats or Bust”lol probably not the best name for a Selfbow.

I built this bow with the flight shoot in mind. I had it shooting really nice at my draw. I originally was going to go 50@28”, but I have been shooting it and it really shoots nice. The event take place in September and no way I’m getting out of here then. Someday. In the meantime I’m hunting and shooting with this one. It feels really good.

Thanks so much Arvin

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Flats or Bust
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 12:26:40 pm »
I can't reply on my phone again. i have more pictures to post but i dont know how to post them from my computer. Hopefully after others make a few replies I can use my phone again.

bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 12:31:18 pm »
That worked. More pictures

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 12:32:47 pm »
More

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 12:34:56 pm »
Bjrogg

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 12:57:31 pm »
That is an awesome bow BJ.  It's amazing how nice the osage that Arvin buys is compared to what we usually have to work with.  I'm glad you got a bow out of it...and such a nice one.  Love the profile.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2023, 01:07:18 pm »
Nice bow Brian . What’s the spec?
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2023, 04:26:24 pm »
Yes this is certainly way different wood than I’m used to. I usually don’t mind. I always like a challenge and I also like the character of the wiggly ones. Not a lot of character in this one, but it sure does shoot nice.

Glad I got the bow too. I would have really felt terrible if I didn’t.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2023, 04:32:59 pm »

In all honesty Arvin I’m not positive. The way I remember it was right around 50@25”. I usually pull about 24”.

I figure I can shoot and hunt with this one now. When I take it to the flats I can take some off, have a fresh belly. Get it out to 28”, lighten up the tips and recurves. Then see how far it’ll fling an arrow.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2023, 05:35:02 pm »
A troublesome start, but the end result speaks for itself. A credit to your skill.
Lovely property you live on, too. I respect a man who has a good vegetable garden,and fruit trees.

Offline Will B

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2023, 06:45:07 pm »
Awesome bow, BJ!  I always like seeing your bows on here. Love those tight recurves!!  Excellent tiller.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2023, 09:53:43 pm »
Very nice bow Bj.  Love your work.   Maybe a contender for flight one day too.     
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2023, 10:16:24 pm »

In all honesty Arvin I’m not positive. The way I remember it was right around 50@25”. I usually pull about 24”.

I figure I can shoot and hunt with this one now. When I take it to the flats I can take some off, have a fresh belly. Get it out to 28”, lighten up the tips and recurves. Then see how far it’ll fling an arrow.

That works!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2023, 07:02:22 am »
Thanks Hamish. I won’t be trying to split any staves off of very thin early wood staves again. Especially ones that are gifted to me. Really glad I had enough left to get a good bow from.

Thanks for the nice comments about the fruit trees and garden. That’s actually my dads place. I have a bigger garden but smaller fruit trees. I enjoy taking care of them all.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2023, 07:04:38 am »
Thanks Will B. I enjoy seeing yours to. Also your videos. And I like your profiles and tiller to

Bjrogg