Author Topic: Trying to bend dogwood  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

Trying to bend dogwood
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:59:06 pm »
I have a piece of dogwood that has a kink in one limb that throws the string away from the handle like 2 in. .  I've tried to bend it with dry heat and i just can't seem to do it. I can't seem to get it hot enough to give. Even when it's too hot for me to handle it is still really springy and won't hold a bend.  Any help here would be appreciated. 
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Dano

Re: Trying to bend dogwood
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:25:42 am »
Most woods don't take dry heat very well, ya gotta lubricate them sometimes, Crisco works great, kinda helps transmit the heat. Just de-grease before appyling finish.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:26:25 am »
look back in your red osier patch for a straighter pc.....
ifn ya try to overheat dogwood it has a tendency to become brittle and break apart.
its springy its good wood!

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:41:10 am »
I used crisco to keep from losing so much moisture. It is just being really hard to get along with. This is about the straightest piece i've found yet it grows really snarly here. Would steam be a better solution for bending this stuff? This may be what i go to for all my bending since i can't hardly get any of these white woods to bend very well with heat.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 12:43:15 am »
Are you making bows or arrows with your dogwood.  Red osier or flowering dogwood?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 12:45:09 am »
Bows from this piece. It is the dogwood that has white flowers. We have alot of it here but its just really twisty.
Wayne Silverthorn