Author Topic: primitive bow strings  (Read 854 times)

Offline Little John

primitive bow strings
« on: May 16, 2023, 03:30:15 pm »
  I have been wondering for a while about primitive bow strings. While sinue is a very good string it still seems like a twisted gut string would be an easier and maybe even better choice, rawhide seems like would be more difficult heavier, more bulky and harder fo make a uniform size. I think twisted gut would be very strong uniform and easy. Does any body have experience or tips with gut versus sinue strings?
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline bassman211

Re: primitive bow strings
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 05:17:16 pm »
I have made a few strings from sinew. None from gut. You could make a good example of both ,and do the testing. Jim Hamm's book shows different material strings that he made up, and concluded  that sinew was the best, but would not hunt with it in wet weather.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 05:38:28 pm »
Dogbane (AKA Indian hemp) fibers are extremely strong and flexible. I haven't tried to make a string, but have investigated that material. Lots of videos about harvesting, processing and using it. I think it is unaffected by moisture.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 07:19:18 pm »
I made a few gut strings many years ago.  They were ok
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 08:06:37 pm »
No experience with gut.  But +1 for dogbane, makes a nice string.