Author Topic: Recurving osage questions  (Read 2256 times)

Offline sleek

Recurving osage questions
« on: April 15, 2023, 11:11:53 am »
I need to make the tightest bend I can for a recurve. What is the tightest yall can make and how do you do it? Currently I just boil and strap it to a form and use a heat gun to set the bend. For this bow I want to make, I need it to almost be a kink. Anyone else have methods they use that would be any help?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline simk

Re: Recurving osage questions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 03:22:12 pm »
Sleek! I'd say the key is making them thin enough. How thick/thin do they really need to be? 3/8" maybe? And If still splinters lifting, patch it again. That would be my bet. Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 07:45:03 pm »
 For any tight bends in timber, use a tension strip of very thin steel, or even a fg backing strip to stop the belly side from splintering.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 08:51:25 pm »
I would agree with both Simk and hamish on this.  The more extreme bends I’ve done successfully on Osage has been with good quality thick ringed wood and thinned down like Simk says.  On my hickory I go a tad thicker for bending recurves but still works.  I’ve never used a metal band on my Osage yet but I have with my hickory and hhb.  I find that white woods tend to splinter up more then others.   I just steam my Osage for 30-40 mins then right to the form.  I make sure I keep to a single growth ring on belly.  I’ve done nice bends on thinner ringed Osage but have had some fail and crack on me. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 01:46:12 pm »
On Osage I would do the bend in three heat sessions letting it cool in between. What you trying Kevin ? Bending a hard ball radius?🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 06:35:42 pm »
If you want a very dramatic bend on any wood bow one option would be to add a saiyah (sp) to each limb tip like on an Asiatic horn bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 07:59:49 pm »
If you want a very dramatic bend on any wood bow one option would be to add a saiyah (sp) to each limb tip like on an Asiatic horn bow.

Great idea Pat.   It’s a great strong solution to get some serious recurve.  The v notch glue up is quite strong. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 09:00:24 pm »

Great idea Pat.   It’s a great strong solution to get some serious recurve.  The v notch glue up is quite strong.

I wish I could be convinced of the v notches. I had one delaminate today that I made yesterday with tight bond 2. Also, I'm trying to make them light as possible and I don't think Siyahs give you any weight advantage? But... I reserve the right to be wrong there.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 11:16:09 pm »
   I also boil and set with dry heat. Will try and attatch picture of form I have nailed to my bench with finished bow tip that was bent on it. This is the size curve I like best, short and quick.
   Have tried the big curves but not a fan.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 11:47:13 pm »

I wish I could be convinced of the v notches. I had one delaminate today that I made yesterday with tight bond 2. Also, I'm trying to make them light as possible and I don't think Siyahs give you any weight advantage? But... I reserve the right to be wrong there.

Not to knock tb glue as I use it for lots of things.  I just don’t use it for my v notches.  I use good quality hide glue or epoxy 2 part resin depending on the build.  For more primitive natural material builds I’ll stick with hide glue.  I’ve never had one come apart yet.  I make a good 3.5”-4” long v notch and groove up the mating wood surfaces.  The hide glue is super good in these scenarios.  For a little insurance you could use binding thread around it even if concerned about the joint.  Ea 40 has worked for me in the past with v notches.  I’ve heard tell guys using other glue successfully like west systems and system three g2 to name a couple.  Best of luck to ya on your decision. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 07:39:35 pm »
I think its not the best glue for that,,

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 09:33:09 pm »
I think its not the best glue for that,,

Well, I just glued a bamboo backing to it and plan to put a belly laminate on it to double reinforce it. Hopefully that will lock it place. For future reference, what glue do you feel would be best?

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2023, 09:34:31 pm »

Not to knock tb glue as I use it for lots of things.  I just don’t use it for my v notches.  I use good quality hide glue or epoxy 2 part resin depending on the build.  For more primitive natural material builds I’ll stick with hide glue.  I’ve never had one come apart yet.  I make a good 3.5”-4” long v notch and groove up the mating wood surfaces.  The hide glue is super good in these scenarios.  For a little insurance you could use binding thread around it even if concerned about the joint.  Ea 40 has worked for me in the past with v notches.  I’ve heard tell guys using other glue successfully like west systems and system three g2 to name a couple.  Best of luck to ya on your decision.

How long do you let the hide glue set? Where is EA40 found?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 06:57:24 am »

My first thought was this. Sounds like you are working on it and have lots of good advice already. Look forward to seeing what you are up to sleek.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 09:45:35 am »
Another option is to kerf the limb so you are bending 3 thin pieces of wood instead of one thick one. Cut a slice separating back from belly and cut a shim to fill in the material removed. Slip the shin in and heat bend it all in one go. Once it sets pull the shim, apply a healthy coat of glue and reinsert. Then back in the form so it’ll be sure to set into position.if the layers are thin enough you could probably get away with not even heating it and let the glue hold it in place.

Kyle