Author Topic: Yew bow build  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Muskyman

Yew bow build
« on: April 01, 2023, 05:08:39 pm »
Now that I’ve got the limbs straight, with help from several on this site, I’m now working on tiller and also put some tip overlays on it. Unfortunately I used some Osage scraps and that’s going to be a problem. I’ll put a photo up as to why. Tillered to about 20 inches with it on a long string..

Found this after I started shaping it.

Offline Muskyman

Re: Yew bow build
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 05:12:31 pm »
Tiller at 20 inches on a long string, about 47 lbs also have some limb twist I’ll have to address

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 06:34:54 pm »
Looking good. Don’t worry about that crack in the overlay. Sand it good so the dust goes in the crack and then fill it with CA and move on.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 07:02:21 pm »
the crack shouldn't be an issue but I'd rethink the grain orientation of those overlays. Your string is going to want to separate those rings and split the overlay. Whenever I use osage as an overlay I always orient the grain so it's 90 degrees to that, like a quartersawn board instead of a flat sawn board, if that makes sense. It may be fine and give you no issue but if it were mine I'd take those off and do new ones.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 07:27:53 pm »
Actually I have had thoughts for both of those comments. Fill it with CA and taking them off and redoing. Going to leave them for now but might redo them later. If I take them off I’m guessing just sand them off, or is there a better way?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 07:42:19 pm »
sanding is the safe way. I use my belt sander. It just takes a couple seconds.  You can pop them off with a tap on a hatchet at the glue joint but you risk catching the grain of the bow and splitting into your bow. don't ask me how I know that.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 09:00:02 pm »
Okay, I won’t ask.  Also, your absolutely right about the grain on the overlays .. that’s obviously a experience thing, I never even thought about it till after I saw my issue.. Definitely learning by my mistakes. Probably just let them stay till I get the tillering done.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 09:43:00 pm »
the crack shouldn't be an issue but I'd rethink the grain orientation of those overlays. Your string is going to want to separate those rings and split the overlay. Whenever I use osage as an overlay I always orient the grain so it's 90 degrees to that, like a quartersawn board instead of a flat sawn board, if that makes sense. It may be fine and give you no issue but if it were mine I'd take those off and do new ones.
Good catch. I hadn’t even looked at the grain orientation. 

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2023, 11:16:36 pm »
Yeah I blew that for sure. Funny thing is, it was right in my face.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 09:39:38 pm »
Tillered to 30 inches today.. still a little heavy at 52 lbs. target weight is around 50 lbs. I figure sanding should get me there. Got to fix the tip overlays and shape the handle. Also work on the fades and a few other things but, getting close..

I did put  a little more bend in the outer third of the left limb after the picture.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 11:08:43 pm »
Looking gooood.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 10:00:10 am »
Good looking tiller there mike. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2023, 01:24:28 pm »
I redid the tip overlay and filled a couple really small holes on the belly with CA glue. Also did a pretty decent amount of sanding and now I’m down to my 50 lbs @ my 30 inch draw length. Found a decent shooting arrow but will probably tweak that a little once I get a set. It has some deflex to it before and after shooting but seems to shoot pretty fast. I have a little more work to do before I call it done but it’s really close.
Picture is after shooting it 15-20 shots.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2023, 01:42:19 pm »
Nicely done mike. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2023, 09:24:16 pm »
Nice job, how long is that bow ?
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good