Author Topic: Dog training toys  (Read 2287 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Dog training toys
« on: March 29, 2023, 10:12:54 am »
My wife’s dog just loves this toy bird. She sits and whines till I get home to play with it with me.

It has a rubber cord neck. I put my thumb in a hole in its head and point it like it was my bow arm. Then I grab its tail and draw it like it was my string hand. It shoots like a bow and the bird flies pretty fast and up to 70’.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Dog training toys
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 10:18:29 am »
Problem is it doesn’t last long before the outside is chewed up and the inside starts coming out. Worst yet she starts trying to eat the inside and that’s not a good thing.

I was hemming up a pair of overalls and I did some work on the bird. The head was almost ripped off. I’m sure it would have come off the next shoot.

I should have done more but I got it flyable again.

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 10:22:43 am »
She was so happy. But I know it wouldn’t last long. I’ve been trying to get her to retrieve it and starting to have some success. Anyone know of a toy like this that would be more durable and she would still like?

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 03:24:14 am »
Check out Kong Brand Dog toys. Dogs can't hurt 'Em. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 08:57:09 am »
Thanks Bob. I looked on my phone.

I see they have indestructible toys but I didn’t see anything that was like this one.

She has some of those other toys, but she just goes crazy over this one. It’s a nerf dog toy and she loves how it flies and the feel of it too.

I’m trying to teach her not to tear it up. She doesn’t exactly have a soft mouth, but if she does just chew most of the time it doesn’t hurt it to much. Once it starts getting loose material then she wants to tear it up. Then it takes a beating.

Really starting to have fun with this pup. She is almost a year old now. She is a bit of a knucklehead, but so am I and we get along pretty good.

I swear she must be part goat. She isn’t afraid to climb on anything and is very agile. She loves outdoors and other dogs and people. She goes crazy over squirrels.

She was my daughters first, but she made too much noise at her apartment with all the squirrels around there. My daughter really wanted a chihuahua and she found one for herself. My wife and I were already attached to Roxy so we got her.

She’s a very smart, energetic, agile pup. She seems to have a good nose and eyes. She is a little stubborn and praise definitely works better on her than discipline.

I would like to see if I can train her to hunt. I never really had a hunting dog before and don’t really know how to train one. I think this little girl has potential though

Bjrogg

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 03:55:56 pm »
Do yourself a favor and take the toys away from her. Only use it as a reward for whatever training you're doing. None of my dogs ever had free rein to chew on things without our presence. If she loves that toy that much use it as a reward for training only and your training sessions will go really well and she'll learn that much faster

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 05:38:25 pm »
Do yourself a favor and take the toys away from her. Only use it as a reward for whatever training you're doing. None of my dogs ever had free rein to chew on things without our presence. If she loves that toy that much use it as a reward for training only and your training sessions will go really well and she'll learn that much faster

That’s what I’ve been doing Paul. She doesn’t get it unless she retrieves it and brings it to me. I let her have it right alongside me. If she brings it to me before I count to three she gets to keep it for awhile. Then I have her retrieve it again.

If she doesn’t return it to me by the time I count to three I take it away. Put it on the table where she can see it but can’t have it. Drives her crazy.

She knows what I want her to do. But she’s just enough of a knucklehead to make things difficult

Bjrogg

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 07:11:44 pm »
Good deal. Kong toys are pretty good if you can get her to get into one of them

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 08:06:36 am »
My daughter found this one. Spunky Puppy. It flies like the other one, but it had a 30 day warranty. That’s about 25 days longer than the other one lasted.

She doesn’t like it quite as much as the other one, but she still loves it. Has been playing with it for about a week and it still looks good. I think my training is starting to work too. I think she is developing a softer mouth with these toys.

Probably as close to getting her to retrieve a duck as I’m going to get.lol We’re having fun though so it’s all good

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 08:07:16 am »
Spunky Puppy

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 03:07:39 am »
Kewl ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2023, 07:46:15 am »
That's cool BJ, but with my dogs if it don't smell like meat or bone they ant going run after it and when they do they ant bringing it back to me. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 10:00:46 am »
Sounds like my dogs, Pappy. We have tons of dog toys but with these dogs we have now only one(Rosie) that plays with them but she keeps them in the house. It's funny, every once in a while I'll find one from the past that has been uncovered in the woods where one of our past dogs hauled it out and buried it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 12:05:05 pm »
We’re still working at it Pappy. She’s getting pretty good about retrieving the bird and bringing it to me, but once in awhile she just can’t help herself from being a knucklehead.

Maybe I should get her an instructional video. She absolutely goes crazy over animal planet.

She was right in there with the wolves chasing down the buffalo.

Then she watched the Arctic fox jump high into the air and pounce on the lemming under the snow. Nose first

Bjrogg